6 Week Old Cockerel Crowing

emnic94

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2021
I have a 6 week old silver laced bantam Cochin that we've been sure was a roo since he was about 3-4 weeks old. We brooded 28 chicks of various breeds with 21 of them going to new homes, and knew that we had a good number of cockerels in the mix. Yesterday, the last of the ones going to other homes left, and now I just have the 7 I purchased to add to my flock. This morning he crowed for the first time, and it made me wonder if that could be an indicator that the remainder of the chicks I have are pullets, and that he's begun crowing now that he is the only cockerel in the bunch? Or if it is just that he has less competition since the other larger cockerels have gone? I have three that were sexed and are supposed to be pullets (Buff Brahma, and two Russian Orloffs), and the other 4 were straight run (Bantam Cochin (roo), Buff Laced Polish, and two Silkies). I'm fairly certain the three that were supposed to be pullets are, and I believe the Polish is as well; I'm not sure on the Silkies since I'm new to them and know they are hard to sex. I know that they can begin crowing pretty young, but this is the first time I've had a cockerel crow this early, and I'm mostly just curious if anyone has noticed the same thing or has any experience with this. :D Picture of Merle for fun.
20230601_085354.jpg

No, it's not an indication all the others are pullets. It merely means you have a very precocious cockerel.

I had one such cockerel a few years ago. The little twerp was not only squeaking out a credible crow, he was also mounting his little girl friends. (He was soon culled for aggression.)

Your little guy appears to be quite the good looking young man.

My little serama Sam started peep-crowing at 2 weeks old! And we got 4 other cockerels with this batch, the second one (a bantam Wyandotte) started crowing at around 7-ish weeks. They're all about 17 weeks now, and one of my silkie cockerels has only just started to yell-crow, the other two are still not crowing at all.

Back
Top Bottom