Late layer?

SunneeSideUp

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
I don’t have any recent pics, I will get some tomorrow, but anyone have late layers?

I have 4 chickens. A black sex link (so I know she’s a hen) a Buff Orpington that I have seen lay, and then I have a Silver laced Wyandottes and an Isa Brown. They are 28 weeks old. I started getting eggs about a month or so ago. I consistently get 2-3 eggs a day but I have never gotten 4 a day. So I don’t know if I have a late layer, an egg eater or a secret roo that doesn’t crow. Are a silver laced or Isa brown known to be late layers? Are they all laying and they are just taking turns? I figured I’d get 4 a day at least occasionally lol. Here’s a few pics that are not great and a pic of eggs. They tend to be brown/tan/pink. Not sure if you can tell which egg is layed by which hen. We did buy them sexed so they SHOULD all be hens but I know how that goes.

I know the pics of them aren’t great (and we have since gotten them a much bigger food dispenser lol. This is just when we finally got coop finished lol) so I’ll try and get more tomorrow.
IMG_0977.jpeg
IMG_7832.jpeg
IMG_7833.jpeg
IMG_0985.jpeg

I don’t have any recent pics, I will get some tomorrow, but anyone have late layers?

I have 4 chickens. A black sex link (so I know she’s a hen) a Buff Orpington that I have seen lay, and then I have a Silver laced Wyandottes and an Isa Brown. They are 28 weeks old. I started getting eggs about a month or so ago. I consistently get 2-3 eggs a day but I have never gotten 4 a day. So I don’t know if I have a late layer, an egg eater or a secret roo that doesn’t crow. Are a silver laced or Isa brown known to be late layers? Are they all laying and they are just taking turns? I figured I’d get 4 a day at least occasionally lol. Here’s a few pics that are not great and a pic of eggs. They tend to be brown/tan/pink. Not sure if you can tell which egg is layed by which hen. We did buy them sexed so they SHOULD all be hens but I know how that goes.

I know the pics of them aren’t great (and we have since gotten them a much bigger food dispenser lol. This is just when we finally got coop finished lol) so I’ll try and get more tomorrow.
View attachment 3678757View attachment 3678760View attachment 3678768View attachment 3678771
You can check each of them to see if they are all laying:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

If you try that and they all seem the same, they are probably all laying.
If one stands out as different, she might not be laying.

Another thing that sometimes helps:
Write the date on each egg when you collect it.
After a few days, lay the eggs out by date on a table or in a carton, and try to sort them into sets by color. You may see some patterns-- maybe the darkest brown egg appears on three days out of four, and the day it's missing there are three other eggs, which would mean four total layers. Or something like that.

I would expect the ISA Brown and the black sex link to lay eggs very close to the same color. I wonder if the dark brown eggs are theirs. The almost pinkish brown ones are the BO.

They skip days occasionally and "take turns" as you say - so even if all are currently laying, on any one given day only some of them are, so you're not getting the full number of eggs. It's normal for new layers, and even for seasoned layers of breeds that aren't known to lay every single day (BO and Wyandottes aren't everyday layers).

Do the butt check mentioned above and you'll have a better idea. But measure your eggs first. If the pullets are laying small, pullet-sized eggs, use that as your measurement for the bone spacing, not the width of a full size egg. So if a full size egg is about 3 fingers, but your pullets are laying smaller eggs that are about 2 fingers wide, see if you can fit 2 fingers between the pelvic bones.

Back
Top Bottom