Polish hen or rooster

H3xan01c

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
I just received my first Polish hen from a friend that had problems with her getting along with her flock that was a few months older. So she brought it to me to see if this 3 month old Polish hen would fit in with my 16, 1 month old barred rocks. "Houdini" the Polish hen is a little bossy but everything seems fine after a couple days. But, as my 8 year old daughter pointed out, Houdini seems to be
crowing at times. Could it be that she is a he?

BTW: Houdini was placed in the coop with the young ones and the first night had disappeared. I searched the corners from the outside window and inside the coop. I thought how did it escape. then found it on top of the door hatch frame up out of the way where none of the other younger ones could have made it. So now named Houdini. thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Houdini also in a video if you want to see different angles:

Hi I think Houdini is a roo and not a hen. Polish always tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order in a flock even the cockerels. Maybe that's why he wasn't getting on in your friends flock. Crowing would also make me think he is a roo. Hope you are able to keep him and that he fits in with your flock. Good luck. There is thread on BYC for polish hope it helps here is the link.https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/355316/polish-thread

Last edited:
thanks everybody for the confirmation. And a Rooster is welcome in my flock. Never had one before and he seems to have some character. I live out of town so the rooster will fit in that way no noise issues, then again will have to wait and hear what my family feels about that later. :)
thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom