Polish hen weak, skinny, lethargic

brookePA

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Hi all,

I have a gold laced Polish hen (Laverne) who is nearly 8 months old. She has never laid (but none of her hatch mates have yet either I'm assuming short days of winter)

Yesterday I happened to be putting them in for the night and picked her up, she is skin, feathers, and bones. So,So thin. I immediately brought her up to the house and put her in the "chicken hospital". I have her some nutri- drench, fresh water and layer pellets. I feed a local, organic feed and organic scratch as a treat (handful a day for them in the morning) This morning I wormed her with Valbazen. She took some interest in the flock block for a bit but didn't walk away, just kind of stands there with her wings droopy and then Lays down. She was vaccinated for Mareks at hatch. No one else is having any issues. I'm not getting any eggs but short of that everyone came out of molt and is looking good. When I let her out of the dog crate today she left a big, liquidy poop- light green/ yellowish. More liquidy than normal chicken poop. Her eyes are clear, no respiratory symptoms of any kind. Waddles are red

Any ideas? She's a sweet bird and I want to help her if I can.

Can you get a weight on her? Is she eating at all? Drinking? Is it possible to post a picture of her poop? A picture of her would be helpful too if you can.

If she is that skinny and not eating or drinking it may be necessary to tube feed her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding . If you are interested in learning how I would recommend contacting @casportpony . She taught me in an emergency and it is easier than you would think. It saved my goose from starving to death and gave me more time to get a treatment on her.

neon green poop is generally an unhealthy sign that could indicate a bacterial infection. What was the dose of Valbazen? Have you considered treating for coccidiosis with Corid (amprolium)?

If she is drinking then you may want to add 2-3Tbls of ACV (apple cider vinegar) per gallon of drinking water and add some probiotics too. At least until you begin another treatment to help with any internal bacterial issues she may have. Just so you know that I too have Nutri Drench in my avian medical kit and use it during emergencies. However, one of the top listed ingredients is "molasses products" and molasses can cause runny poo too. It's the light green/yellow in your bird that gives me concern.

Thank you for the reply. She is eating a bit, I saw her eating her pellets yesterday, and also the flock block. She is also drinking normally I think. I wil let her out later and try to get a picture of her poop. I gave her 1/2cc of valbazen. I have not considered treatment for cocci, all of these years of chickens and I've never had to.
I will try adding the ACV and lay off of the nutri-Drench just in case that's contributing to her poop. It might be actually, since her poop was normal before that.
I'll report back! Thank you, I'm open to any other suggestions.

My husband found her dead this morning. So sad. I don't know what was the matter. I just hope it isn't anything that can effect my other birds. Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm very sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

My husband found her dead this morning. So sad. I don't know what was the matter. I just hope it isn't anything that can effect my other birds. Thanks everyone for your help.
I realize this was a long time ago but I have the exact same situation today with the same bred.did any of your other chickens become sick?

I realize this was a long time ago but I have the exact same situation today with the same bred.did any of your other chickens become sick?
As well as I am having a problem with my little polish rooster, or I think it is! Lenny's now in the hospital & being treated with Corrid (also Ivamectan) & is eating well & seems to be drinking (a LOT). Well this morning he was just laying there & it seems as if he had water soiled his bedding, so he had a warm bath(ish) clean bedding & snacks. Been keeping an eye on, also have another in the hospital up top. He was in a pen with 3 naked neck & another polish, I think they may have dog piled him... Hope to update later

Back
Top Bottom