Polish lost and found

Melleding

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
I am new to raising backyard chickens. As I was driving to my local grocery store, I saw something in the middle of the street. I thought it was an injured osprey, but it was a chicken! A Polish chicken. She was in terrible shape, dirty and smelled like a pig sty. I picked her up, wrapped in a towel and she sat on my lap for the ride home. I have a large greenhouse, and converted that into a coop. We have since replaced some of the panels with chicken wire, added a solar fan, have a second oscillating fan, and a heater. She has two houses, the 1st she wouldn't use, so built a second one where she lays her eggs. She layed her 1st egg last fall, shortly after I found her and lays almost everyday. But she won't eat chicken feed. I've tried 5 brands. Her diet consists of chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, Green Giant corn and frozen peas, crushed eggshells, parrot seedballs and sometimes live mealworms, when I can afford them. She eats a full plate of that twice a day. I've tried not giving her anything but feed, but she will go two days without eating then. She seems to be happy enough alone. She has chicken toys, cat toys, a xylophone and got a piano for Christmas. I don't let her outside because of her crest, even though I keep it trimmed around her eyes. And she is quite a flyer! I put down wood chips initially and she didn't like them and flew around until I raked them up. So now I use sand on top of the pavers and she seems happy with that and has made herself two sandbaths. If I disturb her while she's in her sandbath, I get pecked. I guess she's somewhat of a diva.

This is Chicken

Attachments

• 20201106_124259.jpg
    20201106_124259.jpg
    965.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201106_122324.jpg
    20201106_122324.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom