Polish Problems!

kellykate

Songster
14 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Yarmouth, Maine
I have 1 White-Crested Blue Polish who really cannot see a thing! She heads out with the rest of the flock to free-range but then gets lost from the others. Last night she didn't make it back to the coop. We looked everywhere for her but didn't find her --she has gone missing before and is very good at roosting in the trees. Anyhow, I assume she'll come down today --will she be able to find her way back to the others? Is there anyway I can help her to see? --Trim the feathers around her eyes? Has anyone had any luck keeping these "blind" chickens with the rest of the flock? THANKS for any help!

I'd trim the feathers from around her eyes if you're going to let her free range. Many people prefer to keep Polish in protected pens because of their crests - they can't see predators approaching, and it puts them at a disadvantage for foraging - unless you plan to give them a mohawk...
wink.png

ok --Thanks! I was trimming her feather (in a mohawk type look
smile.png
) but then had read about "pin feathers" and got all nervous and stopped but I think when she shows up today (really hoping she does!) I'll give her a little feather-cut!

Oh, I had this problem last summer. Every. Day. Except in was a Sultan, not a Polish. We wanted to keep her crest un-trimmed for showing, and she ended up having major sight issues for a while. I had to go to the coop before dusk and carry her inside and put her on a roost, otherwise, she'd get tired of waiting, become spiteful, and wander off into the woods somewhere to roost. (I spoiled that one.)

There were a few evenings where I had to do other things and wasn't able to get her. I'd be wandering through the woods for almost an hour. I did find her every time she wanted to pull this act. (She truly found the most awkward nooks and crannies.) After I was done showing her and found no reason to further put myself through this agony, I gave her a tiny trim and she began to go in on her own.

I hope your bird comes back. I've had a few cresteds wander off during the day and find their way back later.

I have a polish frizzle with a huge crest. She always seemed to be by herself when she was in the run. Last month I watched her walk into one of the support posts in the run. I didn't realize she was literally blinded by her crest. I carefully trimmed all of the feather around and above her eyes. She still has the large crest but at least can see where she is going! She now hangs around the other hens when they are in the run, apparently she wasn't anti-social but couldn't see where everybody else was.
smile.png

I trim their crests. I have this one white crested black hen who got stuck in the nest box because she couldn't see the way out. Plus I always had to take mine down from the roosts because they couldn't see to jump.

I go directly around the eyes, but not too 'deep'. It's usually a two-person job. One holds the bird, the other gently trims. I don't cut off feathers that aren't doing any obvious damage, otherwise, it can look sloppy.
smile.png

Last edited:
Because I didn't want to trim, I put mine in ponytails! And they worked. I have two Polish boys who free range daily with pony tails. Of course I'm sure they're not amused but they can at least see!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom