1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Polish Questions!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MercyMe03, Jul 22, 2013.

1. MercyMe03

MercyMe03 Chirping

Jun 2, 2013
    Pensacola, FL
    [​IMG]

I have 2 questions....

Male of female?

He is having trouble seeing... Will it hurt him if I trim some of the feathers? And does anyone have any pictures of trimmed polish chickens?

2. Rooster! He's lovely!

It shouldn't hurt him to trim as long as you do it carefully. There are some BYC articles about it!

3. loverofbirds14

loverofbirds14 In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I thought polish roosters had pointed head feathers... how can you tell?

4. settingdusk

settingdusk Songster

Apr 30, 2013
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    My girl says its a hen. I don't know much about them.

5. settingdusk

settingdusk Songster

Apr 30, 2013
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    I don't see a comb or wattles though.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    hen

7. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Songster

Nov 2, 2012
    Mmm I think boy, how old? On polish you don't really see the comb and wattles and certainly not from that angle. You would have to part the feathers. And are those saddle father or his wing poking out at the back? The colouring is quite girly though all my buff laced boys have been much more golden. I trim mine sometimes as they cant see a thing! I just hold them and get the crest in my hand, then lift it up so I can see which feathers are restricting their vision, you have to be quite brutal if you just do a couple of feathers at a time they usually fall back into their faces! It doesn't look as nice as natural crests but I do feel bad for them bumping into stuff!
    xxx

8. MercyMe03

MercyMe03 Chirping

Jun 2, 2013
    Pensacola, FL
    She's is around 12 weeks old... I am still hoping a hen... There is no comb or wattles on her. She has started running into things is the reason I want to trim around her eyes. I'm pretty sure those are wings sticking out. It's hard to tell in this picture.

9. I'm going off of the draping saddle feathers. I have never had a polish, just looks roostery to me.

10. settingdusk

settingdusk Songster

Apr 30, 2013
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Get a better side pic please, so we can see whether those are saddle feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: