Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenman98, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Silkies and Polish should be an ok mixed flock as both are lightweight, crested, and somewhat docile natured - provided there is plenty of room for them (no crowding).

All the crested breeds seem to be docile skittish personalities because of their blocked vision. However my Silkies free-range and there's not much fluff left around their face to obstruct their vision. Instead of fluffy crests they have porcupine spikes sticking out all around their face. I don't wash the gunk out of their crest because I like that they can see where they're going and aren't so skittish. They love to forage but pick up all sorts of spider webs and debris in their crests. Not until they get matted do I take a wet towel to their crests to clean them up.

One year my oldest Silkie went completely bald. I thought she was moulting only to discover that it was the bully Marans picking at her. That huge Marans was sneaky and she nipped and snapped at all passersby - just nasty tempered. Her new owner says she's still a snot but keeps her for the dark eggs (which really are not chocolate but just a brown!). Thank goodness my sweet little Silkie got all her head feathers grown back no thanks to the nasty Marans.

As a side note I noticed my APA Blue Wheaten Ameraucana (my avatar pic) is a gentle soul. She is not interested in flock politics and avoids conflicts at all costs. She'd rather run than fight another chicken. These girls don't seem to have a mean bone in their body. Because they are good egg layers, gentle natured, people and flock friendly, I would not keep them with Heavy LF or Dual Purpose breeds that have the tendency to be strongly assertive breeds. Because egg layers should not be stressed I would not keep the gentle Ameraucana in a Heavy LF flock but I wouldn't hesitate putting Ameraucanas around gentle Silkies or Polish. Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas are kept by OurFlyBabies.com because they will accept orphaned chicks or injured birds into their flock where other breeds are not that friendly. My Ameraucana was sweet enough as an adult to let a little Dominique chick jump on top of her, sleep on her back, or pick at her muffy cheek fluff with no annoyance at all - very rare trait as not even my gentle Silkies tolerated the chick's antics.

2. Twinklin

Twinklin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Coop
    I'm pretty sure MPC messed up and gave me a roo. Only about 3 weeks but it looks like it's already getting wattles and it's so loud and proud already. It's my only polish and it will stink if I have to get rid of it because I'm at max capacity and it would be hard to get just 1 polish chick to replace it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'm wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  3. simonejohnston

simonejohnston Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    So cute!

4. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Cute little bugger! Noisy too compared to the other chick! If I ever need just one chick I go to a feed store a couple cities from here to pick up just one. Have you any such feed stores within 50 miles that carries hatchery chicks? My feed store will add my breed request to an order when he replaces stock. However Summer may be a little late to get chicks for safe shipment from hatchery to feed store. Have you checked your BYC State thread to see if anyone on there breeds Polish nearby?

5. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's too soon to tell with your Polish. All of mine are like that right now. They are very upright, and quite busy and vocal babies.

6. Twinklin

Twinklin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Coop
    I'm very active in the AZ thread here and no one I've ever found raises laced polish. I can only have 8 chickens total so I have to be super picky about the birds I get. I have 4 feed store standards for eggs and this new batch was my 4 fancies. I ordered them way back in Dec because I wanted to get exactly the breeds I wanted. I could try calling the feed store and see if they would order a special breed for me, they typically carry the production breeds and occasionally get plain colored polish or white crested black which I'm not as fond of. I will definitely wait until I know for sure. Crow or egg. I have a friend with a large property who would most likely take it if it's a roo and I could possibly beg him to order some chicks so I could get just one from him since MPC required a minimum of 3 to my area.

7. flufssilkies

flufssilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    I have a polish. Her name is Styles. The person we got her from said it was a silkie and it was a rooster. I was looking for a silkie rooster at the time. I got over the fact that she was not a silkie and so we were a going to put her in with my silkie the next day. Then she laid a egg. So I think its a girl.

8. quailtrail

quailtrail Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Poland Maine
    [​IMG]
    so noticed this one has 5 toes!!!???

9. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Yeeks!!!!

10. quailtrail

quailtrail Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Poland Maine
    weird huh? ??? Checked with sellers and said silkies were not in with Polish..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by