Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 week old White Crested Black Polish Beauty.
E4CA00C2-02E9-4A45-84C9-8B95563EC40A.jpeg
D4A4F0EB-A479-4AEF-B4E1-B4A8E39E5782.jpeg

She needs a Shampoo & Rinse from her yogurt treat. That’s not happening during Quarantine. Oregon is opening up a bit May 1 so there is hope! 😉

Hey you Polish enthusiasts, make sure you enter the 2021 BYC Calendar Contest!

• Post a high-resolution picture in the contest thread that is at least 3,000 pixels wide & 2,000 pixels tall (landscape/sideways mode is best). If you aren't sure of your picture's size, use this: Pictorum Image Analyzer.
  • Landscape mode (cell phone sideways) oriented pictures are preferred. landscape_1.png
  • *No people* in the picture (no faces, fingers, hands, arms, legs, etc.).
  • Limit of 2 pictures per user, one picture per post, please.
  • No watermarks, text, etc. on the image.
  • We want to see the world through your eyes, not through the excessive use of editing tools. However, basic cropping and poop removal is allowed.
  • Chickens only.
  • The deadline for submissions is August 31st.

Has anyone brought in Polishes as the newcomers to a non-crested mixed flock? How did it go?

I have two Orpington hens and three bearded and muffed Easter Eggers (Favaucanas), but the EE are just nine weeks old and mostly stay in the fenced off area we built for them. I don't know yet if the Orpingtons will be prone to plucking out the beard/cheek feathers once everyone is hanging out together.

Has anyone brought in Polishes as the newcomers to a non-crested mixed flock? How did it go?

I have two Orpington hens and three bearded and muffed Easter Eggers (Favaucanas), but the EE are just nine weeks old and mostly stay in the fenced off area we built for them. I don't know yet if the Orpingtons will be prone to plucking out the beard/cheek feathers once everyone is hanging out together.
I have done it just this year. I had an unknown hen, a labendar orpington, and an Easter Egger and I added a Barred Rock, Wyandotte, and a Polish. Phyllis is the bottom of the pecking order and gets what any hen at the bottom does. Otherwise she is doing pretty good. I wish i had a pair of Polish. I think that would work better but she seems happy.

She is the most precious friendly hen. We all love Phyllis. :love

My orpington has never feather pecked my EEs. It just doesn't happen.

I have done it just this year. I had an unknown hen, a labendar orpington, and an Easter Egger and I added a Barred Rock, Wyandotte, and a Polish. Phyllis is the bottom of the pecking order and gets what any hen at the bottom does. Otherwise she is doing pretty good. I wish i had a pair of Polish. I think that would work better but she seems happy.

She is the most precious friendly hen. We all love Phyllis. :love

My orpington has never feather pecked my EEs. It just doesn't happen.
Thanks, BY Bob. Phyllis is actually the inspiration for my question. I really want a white egg layer in my mixed flock, but I want docile birds. I thought that Polishes were just out of the question with their marvelous hair-dos, but Phyllis has given me hope!

I am now up to about 14 polish, all juveniles, 6 gold laced, 5 white crested black, and 3 silver laced mixes that are mostly white with black polka dots. They have learned to rush the door when I bring the food and more water. I guess they figure I can catch them all :gig
It's a strategy. Someone will get through! 😆

Back
Top Bottom