Political Ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this reminds me of a bumper sticker that used to be plastered on the shop door where I was employed as a mechanic for some time.

If PROGRESS means: to move forward; what does CONGRESS mean?
wink.png

jeff

Last edited:
I just wrote to all of mine about renewing the wind energy tax credit. Lamar Alexander had the gaul to say "The wind companies have had 20 years to get their act together, that's long enough!".

Excuse me??? How many decades have the oil and coal companies been getting corporate welfare? Not to mention, TN was recently the site of the worst coal ash spill in history, devastating Kingston and everything downstream from it.
You know how often I hear this? Oil companies do not get welfare!! they get TAX BREAKS just like every american instead of child exemption credits or earned income credits or first home purchase credits and all the other credits they get a tax break that helps them create very well paying jobs and helps them develope new technology for oil extraction, spill cleanup and exploration. Oh and relatiely cheaper gas compared to other countries.

Oh and wind power is totally subsided by the feds and it is proven that the wind turbines will wear out before they are paid for and are not sustainable energy.

Last edited:
Well, it is pretty plain to me that the real money to be made in windfarms and other alternate forms of energy is in the subsidies. It is pretty much a scam perpetuated by people that are politically connected. Solyndra?

I used to think that solar energy was the way to go, but two years ago we had a doozie of a hail storm. It sure didn't do those solar panels any good.

Alternate forms of energy seem to serve best in areas that lack utility service. They will be developed in other countries where they are the best alternative or the only alternative. In the US, it is just another scam to raid the public till.

Electric cars work in areas where people are not going to drive long distances. Like on islands like Guam and Puerto Rico and countries like Israel.

Well, it is pretty plain to me that the real money to be made in windfarms and other alternate forms of energy is in the subsidies. It is pretty much a scam perpetuated by people that are politically connected. Solyndra?

I used to think that solar energy was the way to go, but two years ago we had a doozie of a hail storm. It sure didn't do those solar panels any good.

Alternate forms of energy seem to serve best in areas that lack utility service. They will be developed in other countries where they are the best alternative or the only alternative. In the US, it is just another scam to raid the public till.

Electric cars work in areas where people are not going to drive long distances. Like on islands like Guam and Puerto Rico and countries like Israel.

Electric cars may work someday but right now thier carbon footprint concerning battery production and the effect on the electric grid is not sustainable or even close. The other issue is large trucks,trains and planes are not even being considered. Electric cars are a rouge.

Electric cars will work when Al Gore invents the 500 mile electric extension cord. Seriously though, on islands like Guam and some of the Hawaiian Islands that are dependent upon expensive fuel brought in on tankers electric cars make sense. In small countries like Israel they make sense. Any small place with a lot of wind is a good place to sell electric cars.

But overall, our hope is to convert our transportation systems to natural gas. We have that right here in the US in abundance.

Electric cars will work when Al Gore invents the 500 mile electric extension cord. Seriously though, on islands like Guam and some of the Hawaiian Islands that are dependent upon expensive fuel brought in on tankers electric cars make sense. In small countries like Israel they make sense. Any small place with a lot of wind is a good place to sell electric cars.

But overall, our hope is to convert our transportation systems to natural gas. We have that right here in the US in abundance.

I do kind of worry about cars with a couple of tanks of natural gas at 3000 pounds of pressure. All the buses and trash trucks here have the tanks on top where they're not very likely to be damaged.

pop.gif

You might think that solar energy was a goer over here, given the long hours of full sunshine on most days. There are some major projects but they cover a huge amount of land. I made an enquiry about a domestic system last year. The cost was far too high for something that would supply only low consumption equipment in the home and it needed twelve car batteries. They would need to be replaced every three years or so.

One of the most effective solar systems here is the roof or stand mounted water tanks as used in the Mediterranean. Water is expensive to heat by electricity but tanks in the sun provide plenty of hot water every afternoon.

I agree about the water tank on the roof. When we camped, back in the day, we had a rubberised pouch that was attached to a hose and shower head. Hanging it up in the full sun meant that by mid afternoon it was hot enough to shower with. Refills heated up quickly too. Now that's my kind of energy saving. No expensive outlay and no moving parts to go wrong. A real winner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom