Poll: Are you free-ranging or not due to Avian Flu?

Are you free-ranging or not due to Avian Flu?

• Yes, my birds have the freedom to be out and about exploring.

Votes: 49 67.1%
  • No, I'm keeping my birds in a run.

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Friends!

I was wondering if you are free-ranging your backyard flocks or not due to Avian Flu?
I'm looking to start giving my chickens more time out and about in the spring when predators aren't lurking as much and they have more cover.
However, I don't know if I shouldn't let them out due to Avian Flu concerns. What are you doing?
If you could, please post where you are located since that might drive your decision. I'm in Southeastern Pennsylvania.

I had been keeping them in the run earlier this year. We have migrating ducks and geese all over where I live. But the way my runs are set up I can't possibly keep wild chickadees out of them so I gave up. The chickens hated it and I hated it and the way my neighbors feed wild birds and squirrels it was just a losing battle. I have been at war with the chickadees for ages.

Unless you have a bird proof covered run, I don't think keeping them confined is going to keep them safe from ai. You haven't mentioned your setup so you may actually have something bird proof, but a lot of people don't. I think more people keep their birds confined because they're concerned about predator issues right now.
My whole flock free ranges but that's because I have them for pest control.
I'm in western indiana

Hello Friends!

I was wondering if you are free-ranging your backyard flocks or not due to Avian Flu?
I'm looking to start giving my chickens more time out and about in the spring when predators aren't lurking as much and they have more cover.
However, I don't know if I shouldn't let them out due to Avian Flu concerns. What are you doing?
If you could, please post where you are located since that might drive your decision. I'm in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
I'm also in SE PA, I free range half days, we have active hawk situation in this area right now. Just saw the fat lard this morning.:barnie
:rant

Unless you have a bird proof covered run, I don't think keeping them confined is going to keep them safe from ai. You haven't mentioned your setup so you may actually have something bird proof, but a lot of people don't. I think more people keep their birds confined because they're concerned about predator issues right now.
My whole flock free ranges but that's because I have them for pest control.
I'm in western indiana
My set-up isn't bird proof. I've never seen any birds in the actual runs with the chickens, but they could get in. I primarily keep them locked in the run for predator protection. They aren't thrilled about it during these colder months, but I think I'm going to let them back out come spring.

I had been keeping them in the run earlier this year. We have migrating ducks and geese all over where I live. But the way my runs are set up I can't possibly keep wild chickadees out of them so I gave up. The chickens hated it and I hated it and the way my neighbors feed wild birds and squirrels it was just a losing battle. I have been at war with the chickadees for ages.
I can't keep out little wild birds either. I haven't seen many in there with the chickens. But I'm sure they might go in there.

Back
Top Bottom