Poll: Do you believe pullets/hens raised by a hen are more prone to broodiness?

Do you believe pullets/hens raised by a hen are more prone to broodiness?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I guess this is a nature vs nurture question, but I let a hen raise four chicks, three of which were pullets. They hatched last fall, and all three are broody right now, one of them has been broody twice already. One of them could be the biological offspring of the hen, the other two are definitely not, and prior to these pullets, only my one hen had ever been broody. I can't help but to wonder if being raised by her is linked to their propensity for broodiness?

Last edited:
I guess this is a nature vs nurture question, but I let a hen raise four chicks, three of which were pullets. They hatched last fall, and all three are broody right now, once of them has been broody twice already. One of them could be the biological offspring of the hen, the other two are definitely not, and prior to these pullets, only my one hen had ever been broody. I can't help but to wonder if being raised by her is linked to their propensity for broodiness?
I certainly think so! I was just pondering this last week. Last spring, my BLRW went broody for the first time, and hatched 5 chicks, 3 girls 2 boys. All three girls have gone broody twice each this year! I had NEVER had a broody before my BLRW though, in my 8+ years of chicken keeping. I have broken the 3, cuz I already have a broody, but they're determined. I finally relented and gave the most determined girl two fertile eggs the other day. She's going to be thrilled, lol.

I certainly think so! I was just pondering this last week. Last spring, my BLRW went broody for the first time, and hatched 5 chicks, 3 girls 2 boys. All three girls have gone broody twice each this year! I had NEVER had a broody before my BLRW though, in my 8+ years of chicken keeping. I have broken the 3, cuz I already have a broody, but they're determined. I finally relented and gave the most determined girl two fertile eggs the other day. She's going to be thrilled, lol.
SAME SAME SAME. Like I wanted to broody raise an enormous batch of chicks, clearly I have the ability to co-broody, but now I'm second guessing myself. I want to sell them, but I feel like I'll be pawning off my new nightmare to somebody else!!! It is an enormous amount of work to break a broody when you're doing it on a near weekly basis! >.>

SAME SAME SAME. Like I wanted to broody raise an enormous batch of chicks, clearly I have the ability to co-broody, but now I'm second guessing myself. I want to sell them, but I feel like I'll be pawning off my new nightmare to somebody else!!! It is an enormous amount of work to break a broody when you're doing it on a near weekly basis! >.>
Yes!!! I know! My broody jail is working overtime. 🤣
I had wanted a broody so badly for ages, but never got one. Now I'm overrun, lol!!!
Currently : 1 in jail, 1 hopefully broken and back in the main coop, and 1 sitting on eggs.
My jail. 😅
20210419_180912_HDR.jpg

Yes!!! I know! My broody jail is working overtime. 🤣
I had wanted a broody so badly for ages, but never got one. Now I'm overrun, lol!!!
Currently : 1 in jail, 1 hopefully broken and back in the main coop, and 1 sitting on eggs.
My jail. 😅View attachment 2626448
I had two in the jail less than two weeks ago, the OG mama and her offspring, now the same offspring and a new one are broody as of yesterday. Send help. lol

I had two in the jail less than two weeks ago, the OG mama and her offspring, now the same offspring and a new one are broody as of yesterday. Send help. lol
Hahaha! Broodiness is contagious. 🤣
I saw someone wanting a broody hen to buy, and I was like I HAVE 4 FRICKIN BROODIES, TAKE ONE. :lau

Back
Top Bottom