Poll! Is transport time related to level of wariness in chicks?

Stephine

Crowing
8 Years
May 30, 2016
Sonoma
Hi!
I got two batches of chicks this spring: brahmas, rir, welsummers and glw in the first shipment. Those were hatched on Monday and arrived here on Thursday, a long trip.
My second batch came nine says later: Plymouth barred rocks and speckled sussex. They took a day less (I managed to wrangle them from the distribution center close by - they had been held back because the maximum allowable delivery time had not yet passed! Luckily I got a hold of the right phone number and the lady working the express room was very helpful and understanding).
The four chicks from the second bunch are consistently more adventurous than the earlier ones. There are shy ones and bolder ones in both batches but the second batch just seems to be more relaxed and trusting of the world in general.
I wonder if the difference in travel time after hatch had something to do with it. What do you think?

Last edited:
It certainly could, those first days are important as far as imprinting and learning about their environment for chicks. Those I hatched this spring were less paranoid than my shipped one because they learned who I was earlier. Less fear, less stress. Stressed birds can have a harder time, but as adults I haven't noticed a difference, so it seems to even out eventually. You are very lucky, as 4 days is really pushing it for survival for shipped chicks.

Thanks! Good to hear that they might eventually get over it!
I was lucky with the first shipment, they all arrived in good shape. If I had known what I know now I would have called the express room the day before... I can't believe they would hold up a shipment of live animals just because they can...

Back
Top Bottom