*poll* Make a new breed, or breed a endangered one?

Would you make a new breed, or save a endangered one?

• Total voters
What about this:
If you had to make a new breed, what features would it have? What would you name it? Purpose? Egg or meat?

I like large birds who lay large eggs.

I like feathered feet and a classic, balanced chicken shape.

I have no particular preference for comb types but I do like interesting patterns.

I like black, white, and black-and-white chickens. Also blue. No red or yellow.

And they have to do well in heat.

What about this:
If you had to make a new breed, what features would it have? What would you name it? Purpose? Egg or meat?
Mine that I'm planning to work on are essentially pheonixes but one strain with silkies feathers and one strain with a naked neck. More later on, but I understand those genetics the best of what I want to do

What about this:
Purpose: Eggs and meat in a colder climate with as much margin/flexibility of management as possible.... meaning as practically as possible.

Features:
Eggs: large, steady but not high production
Meat: moderately meatiness
Colder climate: moderately large body size, comb on the small side (type doesn't matter)

Reproduction: occasionally broody, attentive mothering, attentive roosters, protective (not excessively protective) roosters, tight feathers (higher fertility)

Free ranging: on the flighty side, normal feathering (not frizzle, extra, missing, long, ect), dark feathers (black, probably, but maybe some other colors), legs any color except yellow

Not free ranging: on the uncontentious side within the flock

and just personal preference: dark eyes

Black Java is close but doesn't have large eggs and may not be flighty enough. I don't know about mothering or rooster characteristics or contention within the flock in Black Javas.

I am working on a hybrid line of Heritage sex link. Will likely refer to them as Homestead Heroes, or HH.
I got some Heritage NH and Delaware chicks. I plan to keep the best and eat the rest.
Red roo over white hen makes a red sex link baby.
To me this checks all the boxes: I will keep a line of pure Heritage and Pure NHs, selecting for overall growth and egg production in the Delawares and Fast Growth, good bone/meat ratio and friendliness in the NH cockerels. This will preserve these beautiful and "critically" listed breeds. It will also provide me with pure hatching eggs to sell and a very fun breeding project. I will cross the fastest growing red NH male with some of the larger white Delawares.
The sex-link males I will raise for meat (hoping for 5lb birds at 16 weeks to start) and the females I will sell as sexed chicks and use to sporadically replenish my layer flock. This system will hopefully result in a self sustaining dual purpose flock producing very decent layers and very decent meat birds. I won't be creating anything new but I will be starting and improving my own lines of these heritabe breeds as well as my own hybrid line of red sex links. The Homestead Hero. Hurray! The meaties will take about twice as long as a cornish x, but will eat less food each day, be able to be raised with the flock, and I won't have to source chicks from the hatchery 3-4x a year to fill the freezer. The layers should average a very respectable approximate 260 eggs /yr.

Do what you love!
I have Faverolles too and I love each and every time more are hatched.
I love the breed, they're perfect for my lifestyle and personality.
Would I abandon them to strike out on something that I could end up regretting and in the end would have everyone suffering at least a little?
Absolutely not.
So if you love the breed, my vote personally is stick with what you love 💕

Do what you love!
I have Faverolles too and I love each and every time more are hatched.
I love the breed, they're perfect for my lifestyle and personality.
Would I abandon them to strike out on something that I could end up regretting and in the end would have everyone suffering at least a little?
Absolutely not.
So if you love the breed, my vote personally is stick with what you love 💕
Quick Favorelle question: are all breeds Salmon? I am hoping to add a few more chicks in the spring! If there are other colors, is there one you recommend? Thanks!

No, the salmons are just the most prolific.
There are whites and cuckoos too probably more but for sure those two.
Oh and duh,blues I forgot blue salmons.
They are super hard to come by though.
There was a byc member that had gorgeous whites but they were in Germany so I couldn't even get eggs...so sad.:(
Quick Favorelle question: are all breeds Salmon? I am hoping to add a few more chicks in the spring! If there are other colors, is there one you recommend? Thanks!

*I am not criticizing anybody making breeds.*
I know that a lot of people are trying to make their own breeds (you go! Keep up the good work!) But i also know that their are people trying to preserve the breeds marked as endangered, or critical. So I decided to make a poll to see you guys opinions! Would you rather make a whole new breed, or would try and save a endangered one? Here is a list i found from the Livestock Conservancy of a bunch of endangered, threatened, and critical breeds.
https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/CPL_2021_NO_STUDY_Poultry.pdf

I for one, would rather breed a existing breed that is marked as critical, endangered, or threatened. I currently own 15 Faverolles (you will see them on the list, they are marked as threatened, less than 5,000 birds around the world) and would rather breed them (which i am going to do when they are old enough!) and try to save them than make a new breed. What are your opinions?
I selected Make a new breed, & critically Endangered breeds.

My choices.
Screenshot_20210721-085429_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom