Poll on paintings PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by birdnutz, Nov 6, 2008.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I haven't painted for years. Used to sell alot of animal oil paintings to locals. My question is; when you are looking at original paintings,what are you most interested in? Animals,scenery,etc. Naturalism,surrealism,etc. Would you be interested in an original pet portrait? What price range do you look at most?
    Thinking about e-bay and trying to bring in a little extra money for my pets. Please give me some ideas!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I love nature scenes. Ocean scenes, forests, wild animals in their natural setting, a field of flowers, etc.

Not a fan of Thomas Kincaid type of stuff.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I agree with Debi - I like nature scenes too - and big fields of flowers!!

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'm partial to forest scenes with wildlife in them.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Natural scenery. I also like when people do paintings of local things that are Known. Like here in town a local artist painted a bridge that is well known. The state wants to tear it down and a lot of people want to save it. I think things like that do well with the locals.

6. birdnutz

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Thank you for your comments. Please keep them coming. I'm really glad of the replies I'm getting because this is more into my style. I love doing nature paintings,mostly focused on the animal though.
    Sterling acres your avatar is close to what I'd do. Except I'd have the big ole tom puffed up and strutting for the some hens.

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I like realistic nature scenes, fields with trees etc. I also like old farmstead and other country type (barns etc.) scenes. Have you done chicken paintings? You do just oil?

8. birdnutz

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I haven't done any chickens. More along the lines of wildlife or horses. I have done canada geese on a rock (consignment). I've also done tons of paintings on mirrors. I have never done anything in acrylics that I've sold. I prefer wet on wet technic with oils.

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I think doing pet portraits could be a good little niche as well. As we all know, people love their pets!

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I like paintings that have water scenes
    as well as pictures of houses, farms, barns, cottages. Not like the Kincade version. Those are a little too overdone. Porches, gazebos, rocking chairs, etc.

Most of all, I like pictures with chickens ducks and geese!
    chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by