Poll to help make a hard decision. Please offer your input. Pics

Keep Cletus or send him to the pound?

• Keep

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No kill shelter

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Put to sleep as he is destructive and may become a livestock killer.

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
I agree completely, IF you were to put him down, it should be because you feel you have done everything in your power to put a stop to his current behavioral issues. Definitely not because he could potentially kill livestock. Any dog has the ability to kill livestock to some degree, depending on size and ability, it is something you need to try and train out or keep the dog and livestock separate. If my almost 12 year old lab began destroying property, I would do everything I could think of to stop that behavior before putting her down, starting with training. I love her so much, I still remember the day I rescued her, 11 years ago, like it was yesterday. She is part of the family, and I am sure your dog it too.

Last edited:
If he is truly lost from losing your other dog, give him some guidance. Exercise, discipline, affection. How much exercise is he getting every day? If this were my dog, I would start out the day with a very long walk, run, fetch routine, something to burn off steam. Start NILIF behaviors too, give him something to work for. Stop letting him outside on his own with so much freedom, if he is outside have him at your side on a leash so he doesn't get the opportunity to be bad. When he isn't with you, or getting exercise, put him in a crate.

This is my opinion, so I apologize in advance if it offends anyone.

I have a 10 year old pit bull. I cannot imagine giving him up to a shelter or putting him to sleep, not for anything. I did, however, leave him with my folks when I moved, but not for any reason other than my mom needed him more than I do. The only reason Diesel would ever be put down is if it were for health reasons or if he hurt someone, and giving him to a shelter would NEVER, EVER be an option. Seek professional help. PM Jamie Dog Trainer, she is a member here and she is the best person I could think of to help you. Take him to a trainer. SOMETHING... there has to be a reason, a correctable reason, for his behavior. Take him to a vet, have his labwork done, but please don't give up on him. Pits have a bad enough rap as it is, and a pit that does not show aggression towards other animals, especially small prey animals, such a chickens, is an asset to the breed as a whole. There are members on here who would just as soon shoot Cletus as look at him, simply because he is a pit, but obviously in the past 9 years you have done something right, because other than the recent destructive behaviors you have been dealing with, he sounds like a model dog.

Ok, rant over, but seriously, PM Jamie Dog Trainer, and if she can't help you, get ahold of a trainer or ask your vet for help. He is a beautiful boy... I can understand totally where rebuilding things over and over and over would get real old, real fast, but there has to be something that can be done.

ETA: I don't like your third option at all, and for those of you who voted, think about this...
There are tons of conflicts and wars going on across the globe right now, I guess that means the world could end tomorrow. Perhaps we should all quit our jobs, school, etc tonight so we can spend the last remaining hours with our families. Imagine what the world would be like if we lived our lives based on "what if's" or "could be's"

Seeing as the third option was the only one that had "put him down", it left little options for that choice, don't you think? Personally his behavior doesn't lead me to believe he would kill livestock. I chose that option because the OP clearly has given this a lot of thought, has tried everything in their arsenal to help this animal, has years invested in his care and love and still is contemplating putting him down as an option. This tells me that his behavior has caused undue stress on this family and they are at a loss to help him with his anxiety....under these circumstances, it sounds like the dog and the family are under a lot of anxiety and stress.

Rather than dumping the problem off on a shelter or another person, the OP is weighing the option of taking responsibility for her own dog by eliminating the problem once and for all. I support taking responsibility for your own animal clear up until the end of its life....if that life has to be shortened for any reason, then the hard choice of taking responsibility is still there. I applaud the OP for not taking the easy route, as she clearly has a lot of years of love into this dog.

Well I am up this morning. I have been looking at the yard. I think I am going to try taking the horse from the small pen and putting him in the back 2 1/2 acres. keeping the gate closed. Cletus is going to be put into the pen that was being used for the horse, it's chain link, during the day and back into the house at night. . I am going to probably put hot wire down so Cletus won't dig out. I am also going to go a find my training books. I believe I have one that shows how to train a dog not to pass through a door. I am also going to put hot wire down across the chicken pens door. When the coops are closed I will then turn it on. I want to give him every chance but I am not rich, I can not afford a trainer, especially considering I spent a ton of money on wood and repairs in the last year and a half. He is like family, I mean I have raised him form birth. But sometimes kindness is selfishness. I will not dump him on a shelter. He has never been kenneled or confined in his life. If I have to take the hard road I will make sure there is no suffering.

Well I am up this morning. I have been looking at the yard. I think I am going to try taking the horse from the small pen and putting him in the back 2 1/2 acres. keeping the gate closed. Cletus is going to be put into the pen that was being used for the horse, it's chain link, during the day and back into the house at night. . I am going to probably put hot wire down so Cletus won't dig out. I am also going to go a find my training books. I believe I have one that shows how to train a dog not to pass through a door. I am also going to put hot wire down across the chicken pens door. When the coops are closed I will then turn it on. I want to give him every chance but I am not rich, I can not afford a trainer, especially considering I spent a ton of money on wood and repairs in the last year and a half. He is like family, I mean I have raised him form birth. But sometimes kindness is selfishness. I will not dump him on a shelter. He has never been kenneled or confined in his life. If I have to take the hard road I will make sure there is no suffering.

This is actually what I was going to suggest. A pen when you are not around, training from you and time in the house. I think he is depressed and sad from the passing of his mother. Is it at all possible that he is trying to break into pens to get company and comfort from the other animals? I think he needs hard core exercise, a job to do and more time in training with you. I would not put him down unless you think his mental state has gone to harming humans or livestock.

This is actually what I was going to suggest. A pen when you are not around, training from you and time in the house. I think he is depressed and sad from the passing of his mother. Is it at all possible that he is trying to break into pens to get company and comfort from the other animals? I think he needs hard core exercise, a job to do and more time in training with you. I would not put him down unless you think his mental state has gone to harming humans or livestock. 

Hardcore exercise I agree 100% with you!!!! Number one reason a dog begins to chew/dig is lack of excercise, but in your case I find this to be a habit he picked up since his only companion (mom) has passed away. You have to realize your dog is bored. Yes, you give it attention, yes you have lots of land... but that still doesn't give this high strong animal something to do everyday.

Just cause he can roam free doesn't mean he will, most dogs actually don't! I am sure when his mother was around he followed her every where (thus why he has taken up following you everywhere) this was in his mind his job to follow. Now that she's gone, and of course people are busy and can't always be there he has found a comfort in chewing wood. It keeps him busy.

Is anyone a runnier? Getting him tired out is a good habit. Playing is attention but a dog that big/ high strong needs a lot of excercise!

I wouldn't give up on him. Just my opinion.

The only reason he breaks into the pens is to see if there is food. He has never missed a meal in his life. He pretty much ignores the chickens unless they get to curious with him, then it is a warning, not an attack on them. As for exercise, he often get put in his room in the garage to rest because he hates squirrels and chipmunks and runs after them for hours each day. This dog has never had the stupid weights, work outs etc.. that the idiots sometimes put on them to build muscle. But if you saw him you would think he carried around 50lbs a day on his neck and spent hours on a treadmill. He is literally "cut" like a weight lifter. All of his behaviors started when his mom died. He refuses to buddy up to another dog. He either ignores them or gives a very firm get away from me signal. He doesn't attack and he is safe to be around other dogs. My 21lb pug spends hours each day outside with him. Even when he is around us in the house he acts like he is still looking for something. I know animals grieve, I've seen it in my corgi x when our cat died. But they normally come out of it. Also, I have yet to see Cletus go to the corner of the yard where Sammy is buried and I have seen him as recently as 2 months ago sit and stare at that corner.
I am leaving the shed and the coop door open (fingers crossed nothing wants to snack on my chickens as Cletus is in at night), this way he won't damage the doors anymore. I am going to work on the pens next week and see how he reacts to it. We are also not doing scraps for the chickens (which really sucks as it is a great way to supplement their diets and cut down on processed feed). I suppose I should be grateful he doesn't have a taste for lay pellets, scratch or chick starter. Though if I catch him making a nest in the hay again I swear I will strangle him on the spot. He completely destroyed an entire bale of Bermuda and was working on the alfalfa when I caught him.

Do you have any friends who could take him for awhile, maybe someone with a farm and other large dogs? Sounds like he needs a change of scenery.

I have a similar scenario with my dog who lost his boon companion last year and has mourned her ever since. He changed all his normal habits and was visibly depressed, anxious and just a completely different dog. I've worried about him all year, tried to give him other companions, took him for trips, gave extra attention...you name it, I've tried it.

Well, we finally moved away from that home and he has a new place without the old memories. He's doing better every day now and getting back his old personality.

Maybe if you give your dog a break from his home and he could get out of that environment it might "reset" his heart a little.

Hardcore exercise I agree 100% with you!!!! Number one reason a dog begins to chew/dig is lack of excercise, but in your case I find this to be a habit he picked up since his only companion (mom) has passed away. You have to realize your dog is bored. Yes, you give it attention, yes you have lots of land... but that still doesn't give this high strong animal something to do everyday.
Just cause he can roam free doesn't mean he will, most dogs actually don't! I am sure when his mother was around he followed her every where (thus why he has taken up following you everywhere) this was in his mind his job to follow. Now that she's gone, and of course people are busy and can't always be there he has found a comfort in chewing wood. It keeps him busy.
Is anyone a runnier? Getting him tired out is a good habit. Playing is attention but a dog that big/ high strong needs a lot of excercise!
I wouldn't give up on him. Just my opinion.

X100 This dog is bored and lonely. Really play with him and wear him out - every day. My pit bull plays flyball with other dogs even tho he's not always accepting of other dogs. When he's playing flyball all he cares about is getting the ball and getting back to me for TREATS!!! Best thing ever! My vote - Don't ever bail on your dog because he's inconvenient. He would NEVER bail on you. I don't know you or your dog but, I would bet just about anything that you are the most important thing in that dogs life. IMO only.
hide.gif

I know when I'm bored, I like to eat!

He's bored, needs a job and training... his behavior changed after the other died right? The other dog kept him entertained for you, so now you have to fill that role.

I wouldn't throw in the towel!

Look into getting a flirt pole for him. One of the things I used to use when working young corsos, I tied a white hanky or stip of fabric that would hold up to biting, on a string and pole (like fishing) and the dog would chase this thing till he was exhausted (you have to let them catch it once in a while for a reward). It's great fun for the dog, and little effort for you.

Last night I put one of my corsos to work... she seems to "get" the whole herding thing and without training, helped me herd up a stray rooster that got out of the pen. I just guided her with hand movements... after the roo went inside, she walked away without further interest in the bird. She just seems to understand herding. I so wish she wasn't born with bad knees (she cannot sit) cause she would have been an excellent OB dog and I think herding dog too.

You just never know what your dogs are capable of until you work with them...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom