Poll: What kind of Meat Birds do you raise?

What kind(s) of poultry do you raise for meat?

• Chicken: Cornish Cross (or other commercial meat hybrid)

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • Chicken: Heritage Breed

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Chicken: Barnyard Mix or Backyard Breeding Project

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Ducks

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Geese

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Turkeys

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Quail

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • None Yet

Votes: 14 18.9%

• Total voters
We have 2 flocks of birds, 1 for laying and 1 for meat.. The meat birds are double or near double the size of the layers.. Some here know what we're keeping as I have said elsewhere.. But I will be bringing these to market locally and calling them BYBs backyardbroilers or maybe Prepper birds.. Our meatbirds are of a Cornish cross but NOT the typical cx that we have kept and processed at 50 days.. These birds are a sustainable bird and other than curled toes appear to have no issues living a productive life.. Matter of fact the meaties are outlaying the layers at present.. The meat birds were 5 months on the 2nd and 4 hens are laying the layers are 3 weeks older and only 2 are laying at present... They are new to us, I bought them for a sustainable flock and at present I do not know what the chicks will become.. If they follow the footsteps of these young adults I forsee no problem stocking our freezer with good eats from a productive bird..
What breed are these? How much do they weigh? Have any of the eggs hatched?

I'm raising midgit white turkeys for meat...though I can't seem to process Anything yet..thats the plan. This spring I'm hoping both my turkey hens go bloody agsin and hatch their clutches. As long As I don't touch Any of their babies...i can process them 😕
Midgit Whites are not as big as other turkeys thus making a fine meat bird. They grow FAST too. These are my tommy boy and Vivienne at just 3 months old.
20200824_180200.jpg

I’m raising a very rude broiler he is very rude!!!

Attachments

• 81694CCC-5664-4C07-BBE1-D227CE942331.jpeg
    81694CCC-5664-4C07-BBE1-D227CE942331.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 4
  • AE1ED814-55F3-4013-9CBC-1AC0FE9451F2.jpeg
    AE1ED814-55F3-4013-9CBC-1AC0FE9451F2.jpeg
    707.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I did a run of CX and the meat line of New Hampshires from freedom ranger last year. Will be doing so again this year. The CX are good for those in the Fam who like boneless skinless breast meat. And the NH are my whole roasting and soup birds. Harvested roosters at 12-14 weeks and I got 6-7lb dressed birds.
I'm only ordering the NH again because I saved back the wrong rooster last year and He is going in a Pot! as soon as I have a replacement. That line is sustainable as is. The hens lay fairly well you just need to make sure they dont gorge themselves. I may have a few 12lb hens right now at 10 months old.

Back
Top Bottom