1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Poly Vi Sol and ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by azhenhouse, Apr 3, 2012.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Hi all, It has finally happened to me. I have a duckling that I am sure is suffering from a niacin deficiency. She has all the symptoms. I live in a small town and the right feed is sometimes hard to find. I am feeding the ducklings Flock Raiser, which has the right amount of protein in it for them, but no niacin or very little. I have been adding Nutri-Drench to their drinking water for vitamins, niacin, etc. However, I don't think there is enough niacin in it for this girl. I went out at 8:30 last night to our three stores (Walgreen's, Wal-mart, and Safeway) to find non "non-flush" niacin, and could not find any. I did find the Poly VI Sol, and administered half of the recommended dose for human babies to her, that would be .5mL. A full dose of niacin in this product is 8mg for 1mL. Call me crazy, but she seems to be walking better this morning. I want to give her another doze but I am not sure how much or how often I should. Keeping in mind that they have Nutri-Drench in their drinking water how much Poly Vi Sol should I give her, and how often. I don't want her to overdose on vitamins.

In the meantime, I did order the poult pak from Metzer Farms. Hopefully, it will be here soon. Once I receive it I will stop using the Nutri-Drench and Poly Vi Sol. I used it with my last ducklings and they were all well. I simply forgot to order it this go round.
    UPDATE: The Poly Vi Sol is working. The ducking has greatly improved.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I had a baby that got wry neck at 8 days old, which then evolved into stargazing. She was fed purina unmedicated start n grow. I treated her with kale salad tossed in one full drop polyvisol, 3x per day. After one week, she was 100% recovered. She is now two months old and has not had another issue.

3. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Thank you. I decided to give her half of a drop since she was also drinking the Nutri-Drench, and she has had a significant improvement. I think she is even starting to grow, but that could be that she is standing taller now. I am so glad it is working.

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I usually just dip the bills into the vitamin, allowing them to take what they will...this usually gets a bit in, especially if they (hopefully) volunteer to take some in. After a few days of this, a few drops in the water probably wouldn't hurt since you are not feeding them a duck/waterfowl targeted food.

5. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Glad to hear it! I think polyvisol is the wonder cure for so many duckling issues. FYI, it is best to continue dose until all symptoms gone, then slowly taper off dose over a few days.

6. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Just an FYI--I just starting using the polyvisol for one of my ducklings (who is on a waterfowl starter, by the way, so that's no guarantee that you won't have problems either), so I can't offer any advice but this: get the kind WITHOUT iron. Iron is very easy to overdose and an OD can be lethal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by