Polycarbonate roofing...now what?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Boy, that sounds like a nice set-up. If I thought the panels had a chance in H@## of surviving our 65+ mph winds during winter, I would be doing that when I build my coop.

I would take them back myself......

Most roofing companies throw away used metal roofing regularly that they remove from someones house. Every time I call my local roofing guy looking for used metal roofing, he seems to have some or tells me when a job is so I am there to take what i want when he takes it off a roof. Free is always better
smile.png

Ok. I went back to Lowes, but it wasn't a very productive trip. I managed to buy some screws with the washers attached. I also bought a driver bit to attach to my drill to screw them in with. Unfortunately, I still have two problems. I'm wondering if I should try a shortcut or keep shopping.

1. The only screws that Lowes had were 1 inch long. That is long enough to screw through the bottoms of the panels' waves, but not through the crests. Will that be a disaster?

2. Lowes didn't have the wavy filler-type stuff that goes under the panels. If I don't keep shopping, will the wind rush in a blow the panels away?

Since Lowes is not helpful, should I be shopping online? Is there such a thing as a "roofing" store that I can try? Where else does one look for these kind of materials?

I am surprised Lowe's did not have what you needed. At our Lowe's they have these SunTun panels in multiple colors, two lengths, and all the supplies to go with them - the screws, the inserts, etc. These are rated for pretty good weather resistance too. Maybe ask the Lowe's folks to check their own catalog and they can get what you need.

I used these on my horse runin shed, and am using left overs for chicken roof!

Good post! Use the screws that have the built in washer and neoprene washer to self seal and that you do not over drive them. Too much pressure on the neoprene will fracture it and let water in. So tighten just enough that it starts to bulge from under the metal washer cap. Thanks for sharing the valuable information about polycarbonate roofing.

Asphalt Shingle Roof | Metal Shingle Roof

Hi from Ga. It might drip a little but you could put silicone caulking on the screws to help with that. It probably won't drip enough to worry about.
big_smile.png

Suzy........if you have a drill with a "clutch" use it. You can set it so that the washer is not overly squeezed. Like has been said, they can are easy to over tighten and the clutch will let the drill stop tightening when the set pressure is attained. Put the screw in the valley of the roofing and install the screws properly and all will be well. Installed right the washers will last upwards of 20 -25 years.

If you install the panels over wood, they will most likely turn brown from heat build up. I used the polycarbonate panels for my metal framed greenhouse & eventually they all turned dark over the wood strip where they overlapped. You also only want to screw in the dips. Lowes normally carries the foam strips for the ends. Paint any wood underneath white & you won't have the darkening.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom