Polycarbonate roofing...now what?

suzyQlou

Songster
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Dillsburg, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I'll admit that roofing my coop was a bit of an afterthought. What? I can't just use plywood?

So, I picked up some polycarbonate panels at Lowes. Another admission: I got the wrong kind. This is for my coop (not the run), and I bought transparent panels. Afterwards, I realized I wanted shade in the coop. So, I'm planning on roofing with plywood and screwing the polycarbonate on top to protect it.

I would be grateful for any additional tips. Will the roof leak if I use regular screws through the panels? Do they make special fasteners that I should buy? Will plywood topped with polycarbonate panels keep my coop dry? Will it make it too hot?

yes, they may special screws for roofing. go to Lowe's and tell them what you need them for. The reason is, the special ones come with a rubber washer that squashes down to seal the hole and screw from water. You will need a 1/4" driver socket too, and you want to use this with a drill.
Good luck.

When I bought mine they had the nail box right by the pannels.....in 100 count and 50 count. Also be careful when instaling as a nail not put in correctly and straight will cause a leak...not saying that happened to me
hide.gif

Well, I see you're in PA. Do what I'm doing - use the clear panels, and put a tarp over the top in the summer -- I put tarps on in May, take off in October. The winter sun, when it shines, really makes it nice under the clear panels.

Quote:
They make screws that have little rubber washers attached to them. Use those and I think you will be just fine
smile.png
A coat of paint on the plywood cannot hurt either.

Dave

I'm so glad I asked. You folks have just saved me a ton of rework! Thank you from me...and from my (hopefully dry) chicks.

Elizabeth, I swear I was searching for that exact information for about an hour before I posted here. Your link is wonderful!

Denninmi, I think you have the perfect solution. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to handle the winter yet. Sunshine through the roof would be wonderful! I'm a little too chicken to try it though. I don't think my rafters are quite close enough to handle the panels on their own. Once again I ask myself why I didn't plan better...

Suzy,

Take a look at this PDF installation guide. It's published from the manufacturer, and is the kind that I use from HD, Suntuf Tuftex Polycarb, which have the squared peaks. The guide will work for the wavy pvc kind as well.

For my run, I used the "purlins over rafters" config, where you secure 2x2's across your rafters, then secure the panels to that. The brochure covers other methods as well, but I chose the first option since it seemed easier.

http://www.palramamericas.com/docs/upload/F409_Suntuf_Install-1-21-11.pdf

Back
Top Bottom