Polydactylism/ Inheritance/ and odd toe mutations

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by phasianidae, Jun 6, 2011.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    This thread is for the discussion of polydactylistic chickens. I have recently made crosses between Silkies and and birds with four toes to a foot. I have not hatched many but have had some with five toes and others with five on one foot and four on the other. Here is excellent reading on the subject for all interested. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1209243/pdf/217.pdf If anyone has a chicken with six toes (or more) to a foot please share. Also please post pictures of polydactylistic chickens with unusual toe arrangements. Thank you.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've had birds with 6 toes per foot; 6 toes one one foot and 4 on the other; 6 & 5; 5 & 4. Had one bird with almost a complete 2nd foot atop her primary foot (I don't recall issues on the other leg).

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I've once had a silkie hatch with four toes like that of a "normal" chicken and a miniature fifth toe about 5 times too small sticking out from the 4th toe. That chick was a runt though and unfortunately a rooster so we never saw him grown up but sold [​IMG]

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Thank you both. Sonoran, do you have pictures of the 2nd footed one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by