PolyMax Overlapping Poultry Flooring, anybody has used it in their coop?

aldarita

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Brenham TX
I am building my second coop (10 x 12) and I am looking into using the polymax overlapping poultry flooring. I looked at the specs in their website:
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...poultry_fencing_flooring;pgha2215_HA2215.html
It looks to me that with this material I will be able to get the panels out for cleaning and this way I can avoid using hay, wood shavings, straw, or anything else that has to be replaced often.Right now i am using hay on my small coop's floor (8 x 4) and I have accumulated quite a pile of hay since last May. Right now the hay pile is decomposing but very slowly. My girls only come in the coop at night to roost and during the day when they lay, must of the time they stay out in their large run or free ranging when I can supervise them. I am hoping that my new chicks are well trained as these pullets are and get to be in their coop for roosting and laying, so I don't have to clean the floor very often. BTW I am using poop boxes under the roosts with PDZ which I clean every day and plan to do the same with my new coop.
Anybody there using this material???
I read about it in BYC some time ago and cannot find the post anymore.
Any opinions will be very well appreciated since this material is not cheap but i am willing to make the investment if it is as good as it looks.
Thanks in advance

No experience with the poly flooring but I have seen this type of flooring at kennels. Not a fan at all! The grid flooring may be a good option for production chicken housing but not a coop. Removing the grid and cleaning the grids and floor would be a chore if done often. A bedding material (I like pine chips) will solidify runny poo and it is eay enough to rake and replace (I add material periodically and replace flooring material twice a year). Most of your poo will be below your roosts and on your poop boards. Not a fan of hay as a floor material since it tends to hold moisture and it can be moldy.

Thanks for your input, I am beginning to rethink the whole idea specially after I picture myself taking the panels out for cleaning and then having to clean the floor. I was just looking for something that will not produce so much dirty material. Now I am considering sand since I am already using PDZ and it works for me. I am using DLM in the run and coming this Spring, I will have plenty of material for my plants and trees.

Thanks for your input, I am beginning to rethink the whole idea specially after I picture myself taking the panels out for cleaning and then having to clean the floor. I was just looking for something that will not produce so much dirty material. Now I am considering sand since I am already using PDZ and it works for me. I am using DLM in the run and coming this Spring, I will have plenty of material for my plants and trees.

I currently have construction sand over the linoleum floor in the coop. I also use PDZ raked in. I used to have poop boards to catch the droppings. Too much work in keeping them clean. Took them out and now I just use a kitty litter scoop every day or every other day and pick up the droppings. Been very easy to maintain.

For those of you who use sand, how oftwen do you have to do a complete clean out of the coop floor....remove all the sand and replace with new sand?

If I were to use sand and pdz on the floor, I could eliminate the poop pan like Mamma Hen Chris.

Also, does that mean you only have hay in your nesting boxes?

Last edited:
For those of you who use sand, how oftwen do you have to do a complete clean out of the coop floor....remove all the sand and replace with new sand?

If I were to use sand and pdz on the floor, I could eliminate the poop pan like Mamma Hen Chris.

Also, does that mean you only have hay in your nesting boxes?
I would say that I change it every 6 months. There is still a light layer of sand left so I scoop it out into the run, scrub the floor and resand.

I use excelsior 13 x 13 nesting pads in my nest boxes. Hardly any mess on the floor like the shavings I used to use.

http://www.eggcartons.com/product-p/ep1313-1.htm

And how deep?

I bookmarked the page for the nesting pads. I was never too wild about using hay or pine shavings...too messy. With the sand and nesting pads, I can eliminate the hay/pine shavings, and I can eliminate 1 clean out door since I won't have to use a poop board. Thanks for the tips.

And how deep?

I bookmarked the page for the nesting pads. I was never too wild about using hay or pine shavings...too messy. With the sand and nesting pads, I can eliminate the hay/pine shavings, and I can eliminate 1 clean out door since I won't have to use a poop board. Thanks for the tips.
My sand is 2" deep You are welcome. I have 13 hens in the coop. Much easier to maintain now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom