Polyurethane on chicken coop interior walls ok?

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Is Polyurethane ok for chickens? I tried to look it up, but found a only a few articles... one saying that it is bad for them to breathe in and that it is unknown that chicken droppings plus polyurethane might create a type of poisonous discharge. The other article says that if you buy a brand of minwax called spar urethane it is ok for chicken coops. Does anyone know any more information?

I bought some thin wood paneling that I think is actually used for under flooring in houses. The clerk said it is not to get it wet, which means if I ever want to wash my coop it better have something (paint or some sort of varnish) to seal it with. I'd like to keep the wood grain look, but if I have to I will just use regular paint. However, I am not sure that polyurethane would be a good idea-- will the fumes hurt the chickens in the next room? (I've got a shed split into two rooms). If so, how long do you think that it would take before the polyurethaned walls would not smell? Do I have to worry about paint fumes also? Thanks in advance for any help.

is the poly water base....i used that knd once and it doesnt have as bad a smell and the clean up was easy....
i think i would worry about any of the fumes...paint or poly....make sure you keep the vents wide open till its really dry!

Back
Top Bottom