Polyurethane on chicken coop interior walls ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bocktobery 10, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Is Polyurethane ok for chickens? I tried to look it up, but found a only a few articles... one saying that it is bad for them to breathe in and that it is unknown that chicken droppings plus polyurethane might create a type of poisonous discharge. The other article says that if you buy a brand of minwax called spar urethane it is ok for chicken coops. Does anyone know any more information?

I bought some thin wood paneling that I think is actually used for under flooring in houses. The clerk said it is not to get it wet, which means if I ever want to wash my coop it better have something (paint or some sort of varnish) to seal it with. I'd like to keep the wood grain look, but if I have to I will just use regular paint. However, I am not sure that polyurethane would be a good idea-- will the fumes hurt the chickens in the next room? (I've got a shed split into two rooms). If so, how long do you think that it would take before the polyurethaned walls would not smell? Do I have to worry about paint fumes also? Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    is the poly water base....i used that knd once and it doesnt have as bad a smell and the clean up was easy....
    i think i would worry about any of the fumes...paint or poly....make sure you keep the vents wide open till its really dry!
  3. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    dont know about that one. i used oil based kiltz and i just let it air out good for a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by