Pomegranates

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenbike, Nov 26, 2008.

1. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually I take out all the seeds and just give my chickens the seeds only. Is it safe to cut the pomegranate in half and just let them pick at the seeds and connective layer? Will they eat the outer rind (is the rind safe?)?

2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    That's how we give it to our parrots - they love it. They eat up the seeds and some of the rind - I am sure it would be fine for chickens too.

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    The first time I gave pomegranate seeds to my parrot freaked out! His poo turned bright red! I though I had killed him, until I realized that poo tends to change color depending on what gets eaten. Whew! [​IMG]

4. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

My gang definitely LOVE the seeds! I figured it would be more amusement for them to peck at the whole half like they do watermelon.

5. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Quote:LOL happens to kids too (try purple Kool Aide) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Mine have had pomegranates a couple times rind and all and loved them. No ill effects that I can see!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd eat those pomegranates myself! They run 3-4 bucks a pop here!!!

8. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:same here got some at the flea market last month that were bigger than a softball could only eat 1/2 at a time
    [​IMG] [​IMG] to the pomagranet god

9. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I give my chickens the whole thing and they have a blast pecking the seeds out of the rind. (I usually give them the ones off the tree that have split in half, that the wild birds would get otherwise.)

It's kinda scary though to look in the coop and see all of their faces/featheres covered with (red) pomegranate juice...

10. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Quote:You have your own pomegranate tree? Ohhh, now I wish I lived in California.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by