pond de-icer for duck pool?

Parrotchick

Songster
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
Boonsboro MD
I've been using a hard plastic kiddie pool about 36" diameter and a hard plastic concrete mixing tub as ponds for my ducks. I dump and rinse them every day and scrub them as needed. They don't seem to poop much in them, but there is of course ample mud in them. I figured that when winter came I could use huge rubber pans from TSC that are a bit smaller in area, though taller, but where I could break up ice.

But to prevent much ice, can I use a floating pond de-icer? Or is one that sets on the bottom, with a cage, better? Any recommendations as to type I should get and possibly where to buy? I know I need ones where the ducks can't touch the heating element. I also see where some shut off if knocked outside the water. I don't know how klutzy the ducks will be or what they'll think of something already in their water. I'm sure they'll have something to say about it. I have no electricity at the duck pen yet, but plan to run a GFI outlet down there in the next few freezing days- brrrr.

This is my first winter with ducks and chickens so any suggestions are much appreciated. I have 3 pekins in one pen, and 2 muscovies in the adjacent pen. My chickens also like to drink out of the pools. Thanks!!!

Quote:
A pond aeratior (can't spell, bubbles air through the water) will also work to keep the water open if the temperature isn't too cold. I have also used a heat tape with a thermostat (made to wrap around pipes to keep them from freezing, worked fine in my climate where things freeze at night and usually thaw in the sunlight.

Or you could go for the old fashioned bash the frozen pond with something hard you can find!! the ducks love the chunks of ice I throw out for them! x

We use a size 8 1/2 rubber boot as a de-icer.
smile.png
Once the ice is broken up they will keep it ice free during the day.

Steve in NC

I have a floating de-icer in the horse tank, it works fine and the ducks go there for a drink or a dip. (I have 6 muscovies) I do also have smaller rubber tubs for them, and they do like to play with the ice
big_smile.png
the smaller tubs aren't heated at all and I have to kick out the ice during winter, actually yesterday I couldn't it was well and truely frozen I just added water on top the last couple of inches and they had water to drink till hubby got home to teach that ice a lesson!
gig.gif

Quote:
the big old Gander I had used to think it was his job to break the ice in the morning (also NC)he would get quite upset with me if I interferred after he had jumped up and down a few times. I kept a hoe out there and would lean over the fence and crack the ice with the hoe. He was quite good as an icebreaker!

hmmm, I would think that the "smash" method would bust the plastic pool .... I have the same issue with freezing, but hadn't had an opportunity to post lately. I priced some pond de-icers at Rural King last weekend, but for over $30, I opted for the boot method myself.

Gwen

Back
Top Bottom