Pond Duck Hatched 12 Left 3 pipped

Tnballgirl

Chirping
May 10, 2022
This may be the wrong place, but my semi-pet duck hatched 12 ducklings, first noticed yesterday. Today she is on the pond and a LONG way from her nest with is at the neighbors by their driveway. There are at least 2 or 3 still pipped and I can hear them. But she's not going back yet.....will she? And when to intervene?

I would wait just a little while and see if she comes back. If the eggs get cold that might be a good time to intervene. Maybe watch her from somewhere she can't see you if you can and give her about 10-15 minutes.

I just went over and peeked. One has hatched one is actively hatching and two have pipped one underneath....

20220610_165403.jpg

Attachments

• 20220610_165500.jpg
    20220610_165500.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220610_165510.jpg
    20220610_165510.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 1
If they are still hatching, my advice is to watch them carefully but let them be for now. mama should come back soon.
Thanks! I'm super nervous because all of the 8 I hatched out got killed by a shar pei from a neighborhood over.... they came into our garage and got into the brooder. They also killed another neighbors chickens and one neighbors rabbit. Local authorities haven't done anything for years. FINALLY a friend with the SO cited the owner into court, he pleaded guilty and had to pay a fine but told the Judge he had the dogs euthanized....buuut....they look pretty decent for dogs whove been dead for weeks. 🙄😡

sounds like you may need to talk to local authorities again. Stay near the chicks and the name if your neighbor has vicious dogs. You should probably try to get them to a say place if the mama will let you. If you have hunter dogs nearby, those chicks could be in serious danger--mama duck or not

Oh I know. But we are in a rural area. Trust me people have complained for YEARS. I have been sitting outside with them for a while. The male mallard is trying to bite the babies. Momma will use me to separate. But she isn't tame. Like, I couldn't catch her easily.

sounds like you may need to talk to local authorities again. Stay near the chicks and the name if your neighbor has vicious dogs. You should probably try to get them to a say place if the mama will let you. If you have hunter dogs nearby, those chicks could be in serious danger--mama duck or not

I went back about 7pm and got the one hatched baby. There were three additional pipped eggs, one was semi zipped. All were moving inside. I finished the zip on the one and about 10pm, I'm guessing almost 48hrs after the other "normal" ducklings had hatched, I went ahead and assisted with unzipping the other 2. They were all SUPER weak, rolling over on their backs, and not being able to hold their heads up. We got "save a chick" electrolytes. I am down to 2, but they are what I would say is, a *little*better. I am optimistic for one of them and hopeful for the other.

Back
Top Bottom