Pond for Muscovy Ducks

Lloy-D2788

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
So we know that having a pond isn’t essential for ducks and that Muscovy ducks are even less fussed than some of the other duck breeds, but our male in particular loves a good bath. We want to create a pond and ideally we’d like this to be dug out with a pond liner, BUT we are concerned about the clawed toes of the Muscovy ducks piercing through. How likely do you think this is? Should we stick with a pre-formed pond or could we have a go at digging something instead that will better fit the space?

So we know that having a pond isn’t essential for ducks and that Muscovy ducks are even less fussed than some of the other duck breeds, but our male in particular loves a good bath. We want to create a pond and ideally we’d like this to be dug out with a pond liner, BUT we are concerned about the clawed toes of the Muscovy ducks piercing through. How likely do you think this is? Should we stick with a pre-formed pond or could we have a go at digging something instead that will better fit the space?

Would your soil composition let you put in a pond without a liner? I totally understand your concerns, Muscovy claws are like razor blades and liners ain't cheap!

Wouldn't collecting rocks be free except for the gas cost?

Or you could dig it out and line it with gravel instead of plastic. And gravel or rock is more natural and won't be as destructive to the soil. Its going to take some elbow grease anyway even if you used plastic, which melts in the sun over time. So you might as well build it to last.

Would your soil composition let you put in a pond without a liner? I totally understand your concerns, Muscovy claws are like razor blades and liners ain't cheap!

I have no idea what composition would make it possible to create a pond without a liner... I’ll have to get researching. Either way, I’m not looking forward to digging it! My hands still ache from the smashing tub we sank. 🙈

Wouldn't collecting rocks be free except for the gas cost?

Or you could dig it out and line it with gravel instead of plastic. And gravel or rock is more natural and won't be as destructive to the soil. Its going to take some elbow grease anyway even if you used plastic, which melts in the sun over time. So you might as well build it to last.

I hadn’t realised you could make a pond this way - will take a look. Thanks! 🙂

I hadn’t realised you could make a pond this way - will take a look. Thanks! 🙂

The tricky part may be evaporation loss and managing that. You could technically put a timer irrigation hose line into it to cover that. But I'm not a plumber.

Actually this sounds exciting. I want to hear how it turns out for you.

Back
Top Bottom