Pondering ducks in Oregon

spoildegg

Hatching
7 Years
May 28, 2012
I have come to this site many times in the last year for questions on our new additions to our mini farm. We found one of our ducks this winter dragging herself with her wings. We were getting ready to butcher one of our males and thought about if we should eat that one too. We had just started getting eggs and my husband thought she might be a girl so we kept her in a playpen in the house for a few weeks and let her mend. She just lead 9 duckings out of our burn pile yesterday! Definately glad we saved her! One ducking looked like he was pointed the wrong way all the time and another has a bum leg. We grabbed them up and brought them in. We have had blind animals before and figure if it is female she can produce eggs and live a long happy life. The gimpy one we are worried about a little though. Not sure if maybe it could survive with the blind one in their own pen. Thanks for any input.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Hello and :welcome

That's such a sweet story about the ducklings!
I'm more a chicken rather than duck person, but I know we have a lot of duck geniuses on this site too. You should try posting a thread in Ducks for more advice. :p

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

WelcometoBYC.gif
. There have been a few people with blind ducks that still live with the flock. However, free ranging is a danger for them

Back
Top Bottom