1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2015
    What does it do, how would you build it?

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    A poo/p board is a "tray" built under the roost bar to catch poop which helps keep the floor of the coop cleaner. The poop board in our coop is chest height making for easy cleaning and filled with PDZ which helps dry the poop, absorb ammonia and keeps down odor.

I sift out the poop everyday or two with a mesh paper tray into a bucket and dump it on the compost pile.

[​IMG]

3. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Aart has great information and that is a great link. Welcome! I love my boards.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Poop boards should be located higher than your nest boxes an preferably the highest spot for roosting through the night.
    I have my 2x4 roost 3½ inches from my poop board.

I find the spacing ideal it saves the day when eggs are laid through the night while they are roosting.

I have my roost in cups and can just put them to one side when cleaning the board.

In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Easy peasy!.

Chicken coop is salvaged 4x8 metal shed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My roost over my poop boards is very similar to this photo (except my roost are resting on the lower 2x4).
    I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy pesy.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by