poo caked rear

vonny

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
legana
Hi what is the most common thing that causes smelly poo caked rears, in sick chooks, ruffled feathers and eventually death quite common. Ive had several of these over months, they have been wormed previously (month ago).

Were they really young chicks with the pasty bums?

The fluffed up ruffled look is often associated with coccidiosis, but is really just a sign of a chicken that doesn't feel good.

If you could give us more info about age, setting, feed, etc., that would help us give you good answers.

I am having the same trouble with one of my hens. She started laying Banty size eggs last week and her normal eggs are huge. She is molting right now, but her butt is caked and she has a smelly discharge. I am all ears for any advice. I plan on calling the vet tomorrow.

Also, in case you do not know this, keep in mind that the pasty butt can kill them in itself, if it blocks the vent and is not cleaned.

I cleaned her off with warm slightly soapy water this morning and used Neosporin cream on her. I cleaned her again this evening. She is one of three Rhode Island Reds who are part of our family. I have them in a 12x12 completely wrapped yard (mountain lions, bob cats, fox, coyote, hawks and eagles visit our property) and their coop is 4x12 built like a house. They do scratch around on the ground and a friend told me I should be sure they are getting a supplement in their feed that covers diseases they can pick up. I feed Flock Raiser by Purina and give them the leftovers from our garden and a little scratch. They have always been pretty healthy, but not heavy or fat.

Our vet grew up on a farm in South Dakota, so I am hoping that, even though I have never seen a chicken in his office, he will see my sweet Tomato. I am sad.

Quote:
Hi dont know age of chooks they were inherited with house we bought 6 mths ago, I dont think they would be young, they would have to be 3-5 yrs old prob on the later side at least it says est 2008 on chook door and I dont think they were young then. They are Isa browns I cut back the feathers on the recent sick one around her rear, its hard to clean, washing doesnt seem to do much to remove it as soon as she goes to poo again. Her vent is still open, not caked shut right now, Ive been giving her probiotics since shes been sick.

A dab of vaseline on the vent and on the feathers around the vent will probably help the poo not to stick.

Are you sure that the runny poop is related to their deaths? If they are fairly old chickens and may just be expiring.......

My hen is still fighting whatever she has, so my husband is dropping her off at the vet's this morning. They will keep her overnight and I'll get a clearer picture of what is wrong tomorrow. Like I said, he grew up on a farm, so like a lot of you, he has practical experience, not just schooling. I will share what I find out, and maybe it will help others.

I brought Tomato home from the vet's this afternoon. He has done nothing but feed her canned cat food. He thinks that she ate something that got caught in her craw, and her gizzard wasn't working correctly. She had lost a lot of weight and had diarrhea which caused the crusty vent. I have to keep her isolated for at least a month so that the other girls won't peck at her bottom while it heals. Her poop is normal and she loves her turkey Science Diet cat food. I am to start adding her normal mash into that food in a week and slowly get her back to her normal diet. It is good to have her home.

Just an update on Tomato. She is almost off the canned dog (not cat) food. I am mixing a little of that, plain yogurt, and her own feed together and it is mostly her own food. She is gaining her weight back, her bottom is almost completely healed, and she is pooping like a normal hen. No eggs, but she may never lay again...I don't care. On Sunday, I am going to let her out of her cage and into the big fenced yard and coop. The other two hens spend a lot of time checking on her and I think they will be glad to have her back. She is still molting, but I already see new feathers.
I am so relieved that she survived, and I am grateful for a vet who loves chickens.

Back
Top Bottom