1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poo fertilizer in the garden

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moodusnewchick, Oct 16, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Now that the garden is officially done for the season, I've moved some birds to the fenced in area to give them more space. My thought is they've got some weeding to do plus there's probably still some vegetation and bug/insect life they can enjoy. My question is: is their poop going to burn my garden for next year or might their poo be good for the garden since it's mixing with straw, soon to have tons of leaves and then snow to "incubate/compost" until next spring? Thanks!

2. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    id take the poo and mix it with some dirt and let it sit all winter

3. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    then your garden will have some great dirt next year

4. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Do I mix, pile and cover or can the poo just seep into the current garden dirt and miraculously become good dirt again?

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Take the chickens out about three months before you plan to plant. Turn the soil real good and enjoy the larger veggies next year.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    We scatter our chicken poo and shavings on the garden in the Fall after everything is cleaned up and tilled one last time, let it set all winter and til again in the Spring. We always have great crops!

7. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I just toss the poo where I want it. I'm flingin' poo all over the property every day! [​IMG]

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Poo flinger!

I'm going to have to remember that! [​IMG]

9. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    [​IMG] I should add that it's VERY important to be upwind from the direction of said poo flinging!

10. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Oh too funny. Your title is going to be changed to "upwind poo flinger"!! I haven't flung any yet since they walk around dropping everywhere including the stairs and even the house when they manage to walk in.

thanks all for your responses. I'm really happy to learn that the garden poo is going to be helpful and not detrimental!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by