1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poo in the Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenrookie24, Oct 9, 2010.

1. chickenrookie24

chickenrookie24 New Egg

Oct 9, 2010
    Our hens are now appearing to be roosting and pooing in their nesting boxes.....Any suggestions on how to solve this problem???

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have the same problem. Mine have 3 roosts and sleep on the nest box all night and poo in them. Problem is they don't lay in them at all.

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    When the juvenile chickens are just learning to roost, they will often perch on the edge of the nest boxes. You have to cover the nest boxes at night for a couple of weeks until they learn to roost on the poles you've set up for them. My nest boxes have a slanted front that is hinged so I can fold it up to close off the boxes. I often have juveniles that are reluctant to join the adults on the roosting ladder, so I will close the nest boxes til they learn.

[​IMG]

4. Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    I just stapled Card board over the nesting boxs at night so they could not climb in them! In morning take the cardboard off

Good luck!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I used scrap plywood to cover the nests, works great.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Cover them with any kind of wood at night, take it off in the morning. Maybe you should use golfballs if you want them to lay there. And do you have outside access to the boxes? It just makes cleaning easier FYI

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I had two that wanted to sleep in the nest box. I found these were two of the 'lower' on the pecking order..So they were being harrassed until they moved..I would move them to the roost after dark two weeks and they were sleeping on the roost.. Seems like the big girls just didn't think they should be there...close to them..in their space...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by