Poo Poll

Do you remove turds from nest boxes by hand?

• NEVER! That's disgusting! what's wrong with you peeps!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Well, I don't make it a practice, but once in awhile...

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Sure, if I'm there, I'll pick one out for clean eggs!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I keep a wide plastic paint scraper tucked behind a board in the coop. I lift it out with that....unless it's winter and I have work gloves on, then I just grab and toss!
lol.png

I use a wide-blade putty knife and scoop poo into a coffee can--the knife is handy, picks up all conditions of poo, and it all goes into the compost bin.
smile.png

I pick it out, wipe my hand off on my jeans then head off to do the rest of the chores, always wash as soon as I get inside and before filling waterers!

I pick it out by hand. If there is poop on the egg, I just wash it well. I also wash my hands after handling my chickens or their poo.

I am known to pick out by hand....but I generally try to get ahold of the straw underneath it and just flip the poo out without actually touching it....

Seems my luck though that if there is poo around somewhere, I always end up sticking my finger in it when I don't even see it or intend anything of the sort. lol
roll.png

I just don't go bare-handed into the chicken coop. Gloves are on pretty much at all times -- you never know when there's going to be something that needs doing right now, so why leave the gloves in the house? That and my barrel locks are awfully tight anyway, so the extra layer of leather between them and my fingers is welcome, all "gross" things aside.

So I guess my answer is no.

I have a old hand shovel that I keep in my hen house for cleaning out the nest boxes. If I see a nest that is dirty I clean it out and add more straw to it or soon in is going to be pine shavings since I am out of straw. I try to keep my hen house clean as I can.

Back
Top Bottom