Poo Poll

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wynette, Feb 17, 2011.

1. NEVER! That's disgusting! what's wrong with you peeps!

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Well, I don't make it a practice, but once in awhile...

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Sure, if I'm there, I'll pick one out for clean eggs!

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Alright, I was in the barn collecting eggs the other day. When I opened the lid on one nest box, there was a hen turd in the box. I collected the egg, then gingerly picked out the turd & dropped it out in the run. I think my brother almost gagged.

Thing is, I pride myself on clean eggs. I have had many comments on how clean my hatching eggs are...the reason for that is that I keep my nest boxes as clean as possible. The hens don't typically poo in the nest boxes, but if they do & I happen to see it...I'm not opposed to picking it out. (Oh, I should also ad that I do carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my coat pocket at all times!)

Anyway, I got to thinking...maybe that IS totally disgusting...or, maybe most folks do this...? Just curious, and thought it might be a fun poll. Remember that you don't have to post if you don't want to...so we'll never know who picks turds from nest boxes unless you decide to post! [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The moment I see any poo in a nest box, I pick it out with my hands, too. Sometimes though if it is messy I will grab a small bunch of shavings to go with it.

They don't do this often. I am very picky too about clean nest boxes. My eggs are pretty clean. [​IMG]

3. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    I don't so much have problems with the poo, but sometimes my eggs seem to be covered with hard-to-get-off wood shavings. Most of the time the eggs don't seem to be affected by the shavings. What can I do about that? It seems to happen more on really cold days.
    [​IMG]

4. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    I do that all the time...much to the dismay and disgust of my DD and DH!! If it's a messy one I kinda scoop up some shavings with it and get it outta there, but otherwise I say just grab it! [​IMG] Can't stand dirty eggs....dirty hands is all part of the joy of chickens! [​IMG]

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    N/E Texas
    Quote:exactly this, including the handful of shavings.

6. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    I always wear gloves when cleaning so not a prob for me ![​IMG]

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Sure, what's a little poo among friends? It washes off.
    I love my birds more than I'm bothered by poo. [​IMG]

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    ??? You mean this is not normal?

Of course I am also comfortable handpicking the occasional "apple" from my horses' stalls too.

Somehow - IMHO - non-carnivorous poop is not disgusting to handle.

Soooooo....
    I will NEVER be caught emptying a litterbox barehanded [​IMG]

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:I was gonna say that but Sheila beat me to it. I think anyone who has changed a diaper wouldn't mind picking up a poo and dropping it in the run. [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I pick it out by hand.

I've raised two kids and helped raise a whole passle of neices and nephews. If only chicken poo was the worst thing I've ever had in my hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by