Poodle retrieves egg!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MsMcClucky, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Mitzi is a good dog.

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. The hen should not be laying her egg there.

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. There are probably other eggs you don't know about.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Dogs can't be trusted.

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  5. I have a dog that does something similar.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. That's perfectly fine to continue.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MsMcClucky

MsMcClucky Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2014
    Bedford, IN
    Hi All,
    I am new to chickens since May.
    I have been having a blast: the Silkies, the Guineas, the Cochins, and how they all relate to each other, us and our little dogs.
    So far only one cochin has laid any eggs. She chooses to jump the fence into the shed and lay them under the workbench.
    We can't get to the eggs...but Mitzi can!! She is so proud of her "job." Check her out!

[​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I think your poll voters are getting this correct. Mitzi is a good dog (as far as dogs go), but dogs (99.99 % of the time anyway), can't be trusted. We get sob stories from new members who are shocked when their dog (sometimes even little ones like Chihuahuas) suddenly and unexpectedly decide to chase and kill their chickens, and once a dog starts doing this, it's almost impossible to break it. I also think it would be a good idea to train your hen to lay in the nest boxes. You can put some fake eggs in the nest boxes and lock the hens up for a week in the coop so that it will imprint on them as home. And very likely, there are eggs in other places that you don't know about. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

She certainly is smart! But remember, that no matter how good or gentle a dog seems, they shouldn't be completely trusted with chickens.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Cute dog! Just a word of caution: Be careful with her around your chickens. Even the sweetest dog has predatory instincts, and there have been far too many cases of entire flocks getting wiped out by the family dog.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Since she doesn't release the egg easily, one could break and she would become an egg eater.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

Did you train Mitzi to do this, or did she do it on her own? I would assume Mitzi, being a house dog is never around the chickens without your supervision.

Never had a poodle, but they are known to be quite smart.

A friend of mine had 2 chocolate miniature poodles that stole candy and left the wrappers under a chair. She found them on a spring cleaning…before that thought her husband was overeating the candy. They also could open one kitchen cabinet door, walk to the other end and snack on chips/pretzels, whatever they could get into. So, I'm betting Mitzi learned this on her own.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, it sure is cute that the dog can retrieve the eggs! But as stated above, dogs can not always be trusted. Most dogs see chickens as dinner no matter how sweet they are. So just be very careful with your dog around the chickens.

Enjoy all your adventures and we do welcome you to our flock!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Awww! So cute!!!!! I also have a poodle but he sure doesn't retrieve eggs. That is a special dog you have there! Congratulations! SO cute!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by