Poof and Patty

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
Took in 2 new rescues today. Poof and Patty.

They had been dumped at a park and both had severe bumblefoot infections when they were caught by a local organization that rescues, rehabs, and rehomes domestic ducks that have been abandoned

Normally my flock has been very inclusive and never had any issues. But this would be the first time I was introducing a male with another male already in the flock.

So my current jumbo pekin male, Howard, is a gentleman and is very laid back. Poof however is a bit of a bully.

I put them down on the far side of the pen and he jumped out of the crate, ran over to the other ducks across the pen, and began trying to mate all the females in turn.

Howard just looked side eyed then let him do his thing and walked off. Poof has gone after Howard a few times. He is much smaller than Howard, but Howard Just walks away.

Poof went after my female Peep, who is the oldest, and second biggest after Howard, and the undisputed queen of the flock. She did not hesitate to give Poof a reality check and body slammed him and chased him off. He has been giving her a lot of space and backing down when she comes near.

Patty and Poof are very bonded and she just follows him around. She is very sweet and will let you pet her

So things are pretty good and they are all getting along after just about an hour since introduction

Poof is the first crested duck I have ever had. I know they are that way from a mutated gene that causes a defect in the skull. Any issues that can arise from it I should be on the lookout for?

Attachments

• D8942A62-259B-4F1C-ABCD-1379F61469FC.jpeg
    D8942A62-259B-4F1C-ABCD-1379F61469FC.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 5
  • AF133871-A814-4423-AC05-07977EA8F5DE.jpeg
    AF133871-A814-4423-AC05-07977EA8F5DE.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 4
Congrats on your adoption. They are precious♥️Being as poof is the drake at least you don’t have to worry about mating and getting his poof snatched out. He should be fine as long as no one grabs him. The other problem would be neurological but is he is acting normal I wouldn’t worry. Sounds like Peep has taken care of him going after her!!

They had been dumped at a park and both had severe bumblefoot infections when they were caught by a local organization that rescues, rehabs, and rehomes domestic ducks that have been abandoned
I took in two male pekins this week that were dumped somewhere and found hiding under a truck on a light industrial site. No water except when a truck was washed. I am keeping the new boys in isolation though maybe not for a full 28 days. When I am certain they are healthy and not harboring Avian 'flu or another viral disease, I will start to integrate them. I am giving them a dose of pyrantel pamoate to kill any protozoa/worms which seems to be the main reason for 28 day isolation.

They are in a dog crate and have a dog exercise pen, and can see and hear my ducks through their pen and my screen door. See but not touch. One of the new Pekins puts his head down and make chasing off movements towards one of my pekins [the one that is most likely to fight with new arrivals] but he ignores my crested drake. I suspect my more aggressive boy is making aggressive sounds towards the new boys although I cannot hear any difference between what he is saying and what the crested drake is saying.

I am so glad that you have a local organization that rescues rehabs and rehomes dumped domestic ducks. I get really upset by the stories on this platform about dumped domestic ducks and prospective rescuers not getting help from local rehabbers. When my new boys are healthy -- both physically and mentally -- I will be looking to rehome them together as they are tightly bonded. At the moment they are very nervous with people but getting better at knowing and tolerating my ducks from afar.

Attachments

• 20220505_210401.jpg
    20220505_210401.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220505_121429.jpg
    20220505_121429.jpg
    659.2 KB · Views: 5
Agreed! That’s great that you are taking care of them!

Poof and patty are doing well. Getting more integrated. We were supposed to take them a few weeks ago but they Each had a major bumblefoot infection that took forever to heal. Then another younger duck they took in wound up having coccidia. She never was with poof and patty but was near them though separated. So they got meds for that and we waited a few weeks to make sure they were clear.

Both have seen an avian vet and are disease free at this point.

Poof is super protective of patty and they are inseparable. Patty is very gentle but poof gets terrified when you approach him. He’s scared of humans.

He’s calmed down a bit with me. Spent most of the past couple days out with the ducks so he at least doesn’t see me as a threat anymore.

@ruthhope it's wonderful that you are doing this. These boys deserve a wonderful home and future.
I was just so happy to learn from RJKnott that there is an organization working with dumped ducks. I work with a wildlife rehabber but there is no organization/set up to help me rehome the ducks just word of mouth and limited social media. I don't use Craig's list as I don't want my rescued boys to end up in a cooking pot. I do use NextDoor. But the wildlife rehabber is in the rehab and release back to the wild network.

Agreed! That’s great that you are taking care of them!

Poof and patty are doing well. Getting more integrated. We were supposed to take them a few weeks ago but they Each had a major bumblefoot infection that took forever to heal. Then another younger duck they took in wound up having coccidia. She never was with poof and patty but was near them though separated. So they got meds for that and we waited a few weeks to make sure they were clear.

Both have seen an avian vet and are disease free at this point.

Poof is super protective of patty and they are inseparable. Patty is very gentle but poof gets terrified when you approach him. He’s scared of humans.

He’s calmed down a bit with me. Spent most of the past couple days out with the ducks so he at least doesn’t see me as a threat anymore.
RJKnott My two are scared of people, too, but also tightly bonded. I am also using the "familiarity" approach to winning them over. I was with them -- sitting on my patio steps between my ducks and the new ducks, talking to them and petting my own. I find it sad that my new ducks do not know what peas are and while there is a frenzy with the other ducks when peas are around, the new ones ignore peas in a dish and dropped into their kiddie pool. IS Patty a lot smaller than Poof? She looks so in the tub in the back of your vehicle. But maybe that is just her posture. She does look timid! Do keep us updated on how they get on. I like knowing about successful adoptions of rescued ducks!

patty is smaller and far more timid. But oddly more open to being interacts with. Poof literally was frozen in place and shaking in fear when we first met. He doesn’t get that way now and is starting to get used to the flock and realize that he and patty are in a safe place

Back
Top Bottom