1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poooooor little Eggie

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jettgirl24, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Went outside today and found my poor little Eggis half featherless thanks to a bad and ill-timed moult.... I swear yesterday she had all her feathers and today they are just falling out in handfuls. Of course my "special" chicken chooses the coldest week so far this winter to go bare! My mom called this morning and I told her about my little frozen chicken and she offered to knit her a sweater [​IMG] I might just have to take her up on that!

I don't know if it's the moult making this pic look completely bizarre or the angle but it's definitely the oddest photo I've ever taken :) LOL

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My drake did the same thing last year. Birds pick the craziest times to loose their feathers [​IMG] Great photo though [​IMG]

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    looks like a touch of frost bite on her comb...poor thing! She needs a sweater!

4. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Vaseline her comb...

5. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Poor girl. A sweater is a good idea. [​IMG]

6. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    That actually happened to her comb in the fall while it was still warm :( She somehow detached the back of her comb one day and now it kind of hangs forward. The tips turned black just after it happened, poor little girl. I talked to my vet about it and she said not to worry too much about it as long as it doesn't get worse, which it hasn't. She said would do a little comb reconstructive surgery next time she was out to see the horses if need be. I put Vaseline on it when it does get cold (which fortunately has been rare this year) as I don't want it to get worse. Luckily it hasn't so we'll see what the vet says later this month!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by