Poop an indicator of laying?

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I have noticed that right before my girls lay their first egg they have a larger than normal poop (almost egg size). Is this just a coincidence or does anyone think that there is something to it? My EE that hasn't laid yet had a very large poop this morning and has been messing around in the nesting box today. Anyone else notice this happening this with their girls?

I have noticed that right before my girls lay their first egg they have a larger than normal poop (almost egg size). Is this just a coincidence or does anyone think that there is something to it? My EE that hasn't laid yet had a very large poop this morning and has been messing around in the nesting box today. Anyone else notice this happening this with their girls?
I have never noticed this. An egg sized poop? Yikes!

Only time I notice a poop that big is when a hen is broody.

I guess it's coincidence. I've just seem to find abnormally large poops on the same day as the first egg. Just thought it might be their way to clear the passage for the egg. I have had very clean eggs! :)

Just thought I would check. Thanks

Our girls usually have huge poos when they first wake up in the morning, they come out right around sun rise and all take really big dumps... It seems like they know to only poo outside of their coop... There is hardly ever any poo inside maybe 4 droppings total for the whole night... I clean our little coop daily and have noticed that since 4 of our girls started laying there is not as much poo even outside in the run... Could it be that egg laying requires a lot of energy and most of what they eat is being used up before becoming waste??? I would say your chickens have big poos because they hold it possibly?!? Who knows hahaha

Back
Top Bottom