Poop board for my specific set up.

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
I have raiseable roosts and have been using 2 metal oil change pans with sand and PDZ. The only hold about an inch of sand. Pic and video attached. Even tough it stays pretty dry, and I can easily pull them out to dump and clean, eventually they start to rust. Anyone have a better option for this set up? Pics in replies get bonus points 😜
View media item 7953518

Attachments

• B32EE663-4DD1-4ECB-948B-89D16E3894D0.jpeg
    B32EE663-4DD1-4ECB-948B-89D16E3894D0.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 32
My thought would be to put a 2x4 border in front and side of roosts on floor , fill with PDz and get a bedding scooper thingy to sift through bedding .
I use deep bedding with pine shavings in my coop personally to catch the oopsy poops.

Anyone have a better option for this set up?

I don't do poop boards, pans, or anything like that. I switched over to deep bedding years ago and never looked back. My chickens literally live in their chicken coop for about 6 snow months out of the year. The only place that you notice any chicken poo is directly under the roosts. In my case, I'll just toss on some fresh litter over the poo and that keeps everything looking good. Most of the chicken poo dries out and automagically disappears into the deep bedding.

My deep bedding coop does not smell. I only clean it out twice a year, late in the spring after the snow has melted, and then again late in the fall before the snow starts falling. It's by far the best method I have ever used.

For your setup, I would suggest attaching some 1X4's or 1X6's by the doors to keep the litter inside, and then toss down a few inches of deep bedding to start. For deep bedding, I have used everything I could find or get for free, such as wood chips, dried leaves, dried grass, and most currently I have switched to using paper shreds I make at home. All litter seems to work for me, but my favorite is currently paper shreds.

Of course, you can also mix together different kinds of deep bedding/litter in the coop. The chickens don't care. When I do clean out the coop bedding, it all gets tossed into the chicken run where I let it compost in place. Later, I harvest the compost and use it to feed my gardens. Deep bedding is a great system for me.

I don't do poop boards, pans, or anything like that. I switched over to deep bedding years ago and never looked back. My chickens literally live in their chicken coop for about 6 snow months out of the year. The only place that you notice any chicken poo is directly under the roosts. In my case, I'll just toss on some fresh litter over the poo and that keeps everything looking good. Most of the chicken poo dries out and automagically disappears into the deep bedding.

My deep bedding coop does not smell. I only clean it out twice a year, late in the spring after the snow has melted, and then again late in the fall before the snow starts falling. It's by far the best method I have ever used.

For your setup, I would suggest attaching some 1X4's or 1X6's by the doors to keep the litter inside, and then toss down a few inches of deep bedding to start. For deep bedding, I have used everything I could find or get for free, such as wood chips, dried leaves, dried grass, and most currently I have switched to using paper shreds I make at home. All litter seems to work for me, but my favorite is currently paper shreds.

Of course, you can also mix together different kinds of deep bedding/litter in the coop. The chickens don't care. When I do clean out the coop bedding, it all gets tossed into the chicken run where I let it compost in place. Later, I harvest the compost and use it to feed my gardens. Deep bedding is a great system for me.
Ditto this it makes for easy maintenance and you have those great external nest boxes. My bedding is 5.00 a big bag as opposed to 13.00 per small bag of PDz. I only have my PDz in a stationary permanent poop tray located under my 2 roosts in new addition.

Just put linoleum on the floor and be done.

You can put linoleum on the floor. I did. But I think you still need to cover the linoleum with some kind of deep bedding litter. You really want the chicken poo to dry up and get mixed into the litter. That's the magic of the deep bedding method. Chicken poo directly on linoleum would be a smelly, slippery mess and I cannot imagine using linoleum alone. You need some kind of litter to dry out and hide the chicken poo.

I put linoleum in my coop. Other people use a product called Black Jack #57 Rubr-Coat for their coop to protect the floor. You would still need deep bedding litter on top of the Black Jack.

00381027.jpg

I think you still need to cover the linoleum with some kind of deep bedding litter.
use the same thing as you were using on the poop board trays. My 4'x6' poop board linoleum is 3.7 years old and comes clean with the back side of a small yard rake. I clean it every 4 or 5 days. Its not warn away from use with PZD. I can sweep it clean and you wouldn't know its a poop board.

Attachments

• SSPX1011.JPG
    SSPX1011.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 5
  • SSPX1054.JPG
    SSPX1054.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom