Poop Board

I found out about poop boards (here, in fact) about halfway through building my first coop. but being the shade tree engineer that I am I thought "I can do that one better :caf" and built a tray that I would fill with granulated zeolite (Sweet PDZ) This made cleaning it as easy as scooping out a kitty litter box. Since the zeolite also binds to and neutralizes the ammonia the coop never smelled like a coop, even though it was housing ten chickens. 11 when I still had a rooster.

Last edited:
I don't have one but am realizing it is probably needed. I usually empty out the areas under the roosts frequently and scoot some of the cleaner hay over there. I'm using PDZ this year, and really like its properties.

I have one, I keep 1/4" - 1/2" of PDZ in it. I scoop poop every morning, the poop goes in my compost pile.

2018 6 weeks old roosting with the big girls.jpg

I have vinyl under the PDZ, to keep any moisture from seeping into the wood tray.
Poop board vinyl.jpg

I have v

inyl on our poop boards and just take a kitty litter shovel and a plastic coffee can to sweep the poop into the can and deposit in a trash can that ends up in our disposal compost pile. Takes about 2-3 minutes to clean boards and maybe once per month I take them out and wash them off. Can't imagine anything easier.

This shows the poop boards before cleaning. They just lift off the brackets underneath them.
IMG_1281.JPG

6DEBF865-8133-4279-9796-7DF753154323.jpeg
79DC22C3-30B8-468A-8717-2A88F5E4B0CF.jpeg
Mine are lined with the same vinyl I used on the floor and walls, and then topped with sand and PDZ. Easy clean up with a kitty litter scoop; a thorough clean up with the kitchen mesh sieve when I miss the beach!

Back
Top Bottom