POOP boards 101. Teach me.

I also have poop boards w/ vinyl flooring & an edge. Sand in the front of the 2x4 roost bar. The front part is where they walk and peck at the sand. Stall Dry in the back, which they usually don't walk in or peck- just poop. Nest boxes below & virtually no poop on the straw covering the floor (1yr- just removed (didn't think I had to, just thought I should while cleaning & added fresh for winter) in the sleeping quarters part of the coop- mostly by the door to go out in the run in the activity side of the coop which had sand/stall dry on the floor. Might have a picture, but I'm sure you can picture it with out a picture... Lol

Thanks for all the photos-- very helpful- keep them coming! Love all the ideas.....

Last edited:
For what it’s worth.
Because my coop is small, it’s difficult to lift a heavier type poop board out ( no real room for slides).
I opted to make poop boards out of a very light material called
” Kerri Board” - its original purpose was to be used as underlayment for ceramic flooring.
It has a dense solid foam core ( waterproof), with a synthetic covering on top & bottom.
Photo below shows material before edge boards. Should be at least partially supported from underneath ( I used cantilever style).
I use mixture sand/ PDZ. Light to lift out, easy to scoop.
and so far ( 5 months) working as planned.
559A438F-5E38-4251-9C8B-B16C24BC4319.jpeg

Attachments

• 768673A4-27CF-4F18-99F5-F486037B40F3.jpeg
    768673A4-27CF-4F18-99F5-F486037B40F3.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 24
How wide are the poop boards?
Depends on how many roosting bars are in your configuration - basically, you want the poop board to extend a few inches beyond the roost that is furthest from the wall. I think 6" minimum, but really give yourself as much room as possible, to keep the "squirty" poops on the board instead of the floor below!

Back
Top Bottom