Poop boards

jlpierce45

Songster
Jan 28, 2019
SE Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I’m looking for some advice on how to incorporate poop boards under my roosting bars. My lowest bar is only about 2 ft off the floor, which my silkies use to be able to reach the higher bars. If I put the boards under the lowest roost, there wouldn’t be much space under. Any ideas?
746BC94B-763E-47A1-B805-4860000B06F0.jpeg
4F409601-886C-4F3D-8B91-3D4651DC46EF.jpeg

02471D99-2784-4BF0-8484-B3591668BDF3.jpeg

If you look to the bottom right you will see where I use bins under mine to collect the poop. Would something like that work? Just slide the bins out and dump them. You will probably need something to scrape the poop to loosen it so you can dump it.

Brooder Bins.JPG

Some corrugated plastic sheets (the same plastic that real estate signs are made from), at ground level and narrow enough to slide through the coop door. They're lightweight, inexpensive, and very easy to scrape poo off with a paint scraper and to hose down.

I have a hook and eye attached to the roost bar and to the board. Is approx 2" below bar, works great and is easily removable and cleanable.

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 75
Do you need tree roosts? Use the bottom roost and make a second bar 2’ of the ground to lay the poop tray on. This way the chickens can use the space under the roost.
But maybe you need to open it up with hwc / windows because there is a risk they will like the floor to lay eggs if there is a lot of shade there.

If you need 3 roosts make a new roost 2’ above the poop tray. The chickens will use the poop tray as a new ‘ground floor’.

btw I would plane/sand the sharp edges of the roosts to make them more comfortable for the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom