Poop changed but still not right!

missjoyg

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2021
Hi all! So I dewormed my three girls and have had my sick girl isolated for over a week. Her poops have now changed again to the below. It’s like she isn’t digesting her food? Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_6021.jpeg
    IMG_6021.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 81
Do you see any dead worms in the poop? There is a lot going on in the droppings picture, so hard for me to tell. Does she have grit available to help her gizzard grind the food she eats? Is she eating better since she has been separated? It might be good to get a weight on her, just to see if she is losing or gaining. I would let her spend time with the others every day, so that she doesn’t lose her spot in the flock.

Do you see any dead worms in the poop? There is a lot going on in the droppings picture, so hard for me to tell. Does she have grit available to help her gizzard grind the food she eats? Is she eating better since she has been separated? It might be good to get a weight on her, just to see if she is losing or gaining. I would let her spend time with the others every day, so that she doesn’t lose her spot in the flock.
No I don’t see worms, but she was dewormed about a week ago. She sits A LOT, and she has lay crumble and organic layer feed with oyster shell. She has lost weight. Her tail is down all the time, for about a week now. She eats and drinks and is very alert. I let her out just now and she seems to be happy to be out but she just went and laid in the grass. She is foraging like crazy but while laying down. I am so stumped. Quite frankly can’t afford an avian vet and the nearest one is an hour away. Hopefully I don’t get hate for that from
Anyone. I take very good care of them and they live in a mansion.

How old is she? Is she eating her chicken feed? I have had many hens over 2-3 years who were not very active, but liked to get out and stay with their flock. Sitting for long periods sounds like she may have a reproductive disorder. They can live months to years with those. I usually never know what is happening to them until they die, and a home necropsy can be done. I try to make sure their crop is emptying overnight, worm them, and some may consider treating with an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Aqua Mox available online from Allivet.com) I don’t have any vets who will see chickens here, and I probably wouldn’t anyway, since most know less that I do about them. The cost of diagnostic tests, X-rays, and medication from an avian vet would be not something most of us would spend.

How old is she? Is she eating her chicken feed? I have had many hens over 2-3 years who were not very active, but liked to get out and stay with their flock. Sitting for long periods sounds like she may have a reproductive disorder. They can live months to years with those. I usually never know what is happening to them until they die, and a home necropsy can be done. I try to make sure their crop is emptying overnight, worm them, and some may consider treating with an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Aqua Mox available online from Allivet.com) I don’t have any vets who will see chickens here, and I probably wouldn’t anyway, since most know less that I do about them. The cost of diagnostic tests, X-rays, and medication from an avian vet would be not something most of us would spend.
I am afraid we are at the end of her road. She is starting to hobble and while alert and eating and drinking she only lays most of the time. I only have three but the big mama severely attacked her today. Thank goodness I was standing right there. I am soooo heart broken and I don’t know what to do. The thought of putting her down and how is just making me sick. What do you mean by a home necropsy? 😭

I’m sorry that she is getting weaker. I always sepearated them inside a wire dog crate with food and water if the others start to peck at them. A home necropsy is done when I lose one, so I can get a look at the internal organs for anything out of the ordinary. Most state vet labs will do a more thorough one if you take or send the body into them, while keeping the body cold. Call them for details. Here is a video where a vet performs a necropsy and the organs are labeled:
If you do a home necropsy take pictures of the major abdominal organs and post here for any help. Here is a list of state vet labs to contact if you want to get a professional necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Than
I’m sorry that she is getting weaker. I always sepearated them inside a wire dog crate with food and water if the others start to peck at them. A home necropsy is done when I lose one, so I can get a look at the internal organs for anything out of the ordinary. Most state vet labs will do a more thorough one if you take or send the body into them, while keeping the body cold. Call them for details. Here is a video where a vet performs a necropsy and the organs are labeled:
If you do a home necropsy take pictures of the major abdominal organs and post here for any help. Here is a list of state vet labs to contact if you want to get a professional necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Oh I could never do that. I don’t even know how to put her down…. That’s my biggest worry and worst heartache!

I think that it is hard for most of us to put a chicken down. Then the thoughts of doing a necropsy are scary and would make most squeamish the first time. But once you do a few, you find that you learn a lot about what was going on. It isn’t for everyone. Some who are used to butchering, it is a bit easier. There are different methods of putting a chicken down from the broomstick cervical separation method, cutting the head off with a sharp ax or loppers, and the one I have used, cutting the jugular veins. Perhaps a hunter friend or member of your family could help you. I usually leave them alone, try to make them comfortable and offering food and water, and trying not to let them suffer.

Back
Top Bottom