poop-free waterers

Quote:
I don't know WiscoChiko, it doesn't really freeze where I live (gets to about 32 a few times a year, but never for more than a few hours). Hopefully a nipple user in the north will chime in.

About keeping them from freezing in the winter...I was thinking of trying electric plumbing tape wrapped near the nipple. Don't know if it would work or not...

Hi all, yeah they are the best thing since sliced bread! I use a five gallon bucket with three of them in it. In the winter I use a bucket deicer you can pick up at the local TSC for around 30.00 along with a thermocube for around 7.00. Yeah, I know a bit pricey, but let me tell you I also have four horses and hacking frozen buckets for them is bad enough, I am NOT doing it for my precious birdbrains, LOL! This system rocks and we hit below zero temps this past winter (my first with the chickens) and I never had a problem, the warm water acts the same way with the nipples as it would with a frozen car door. A tap on a "frozen" nipple and the water comes right out. Works great and I am not changing a thing!! I hope more people switch to nipples, easier on us and healthier for the birds!
wink.png

Quote:
how many nipples do u have in that bucket deicer and how birds are in the pen with it?
i went to the web site tsc and i dont see it on line here yet iam in tenn.
yes we need to see pic of it plz
btw good luck up there this winter yr. grew up in caz .
wink.png

I set a metal waterer over a heated dog bowl and this works until below zero. Would be even better if I had a bucket with nipple to put over the dog bowl--then no poop and wasted water soaking the floor boards!

I went to the Horizontal Style watering nipples this year and will never go back. I have three mounted in a 5 gallon bucket. 5 gallons lasts me a full week with 5 Leghorn Hens. Adding some all natural Apple Cider Vinegar also keeps algae growth to a minimum. For my coop, I hang the bucket by the handle so the nipple height is right at the chickens natural height when walking around. For the winter, I have the submersible heater, safe for plastic buckets, from TSC. To keep the heater from sitting right on the bottom of the bucket, I cut a hole into a snap on lid, and then zip tied a block to the heater cord so it hangs vertical from the bucket lid. A hole and slit in a cork would also work great. Hope I've explained this well enough.

I had a metal waterer over a heated dog dish, but it got too cold this winter. And then there is the pooping problem. So...I got a big heated plastic red&white job, big enough to serve my 26 chickens. And...I figured out a poopshield. What you do is, you get a large dog-neck cone from your vet for around $12 and tie it around the top. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom