Poop Hammock Rocks!!

Funny you should ask that. The first pic I posted was when I had 8 hens. I now have around 60 with more to come. I built a frame about 2' off the coop floor and well below two long roosts. Then I covered the frame with white board. Every morning I simply scrape the poop into a bucket and dump on the compost pile. I still have the feed sack hammock under the smaller roost. Works great.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I need to set something up asap and I'm glad to here that it's working. I like the idea of a glossy surface for scraping too. We have a minor poop mountain to deal with this week and then I can work at a poop board. It's amazing how much 25 birds poop every night. Just got the word that the other 40 birds will be here this week so I have to build quick in the other coop as well.

So here are some pics of the poop hammock:
83665_100_0678.jpg

83665_100_0679.jpg

83665_100_0680.jpg

So the hammock itself is from a piece of canvas that he purchased from home depot for roughly $20 - it is held up with jack chain, an eyebolt and is secured to the walls with a large washer and screwed in. The end of the jack chain is opened up so that I can lift up the whole thing and take it outside. I did this once on a really sunny day - rinsed it with the hose and let it dry in the sun - dried in about a half hour and looked new again!
woot.gif
The poop that is in the hammock is from last night! That's a lot of poop
sickbyc.gif
celebrate.gif

If you have any questions or need another picture let me know - the other idea sounds cool as well.
thumbsup.gif
Thank you for posting. What a pretty colour your coop is :)

That is a really cool idea, and I can definitely see from the results how well it works. I think I may try this in our coop. Thanks for sharing this!

Good for you! I actually built a 'poop slide' into my Florida coop - it's made of 20inch wide metal flashing, dipped in the middle, and slanted from the roost into a 5 gal bucket. I only have to hose it off in the mornings, or maybe twice a week - everything slides neatly into the bucket, and I then use the 'poop tea' on my plants and trees. No shoveling poop for me! I covered the whole slide with chicken wire so no chickens slide into the bucket
roll.png
. That would be stinky
lol.png
Do you have a pic? Sounds so effective

Good for you! I actually built a 'poop slide' into my Florida coop - it's made of 20inch wide metal flashing, dipped in the middle, and slanted from the roost into a 5 gal bucket. I only have to hose it off in the mornings, or maybe twice a week - everything slides neatly into the bucket, and I then use the 'poop tea' on my plants and trees. No shoveling poop for me! I covered the whole slide with chicken wire so no chickens slide into the bucket
roll.png
. That would be stinky
lol.png
Would you kindly post a photo of your poop slide? (Since it saves you so much time and we not-so-inventive poulterers are still scraping and slinging.) Thank you!

We built our chicken coop this spring and a suggestion was made to create a poop hammock under the roost bar. The hammock is made from canvas and catches the poop which is pretty easy to just scoop out of the hammock. My chickens are now 7 weeks old and have been using the roost bars for the past two weeks and I LOVE how much poop is collected in this hammock! It is actually pretty amazing and I am able to scoop it out each morning (or every few days) and the pine shavings don't need to be changed nearly as often saving me $$ as well. Just thought I would throw this out there for those building their coop now - actually it would be easy to add to any coop.
thumbsup.gif
If you swing it, 😊 would you please upload a photo of the hammock? Ideas like yours? and a photo to show how you rigged it are helpful time savers. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom