1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop Hammock Rocks!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mcf3kids, Jul 3, 2011.

1. igep

igep Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Marshfield, MA
    Please post a pic of the poop slide!!!

2. BOrion

BOrion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    So, I just completed my poop hammocks[​IMG]I got the idea from this site. I used lumber found in the dumpster and feed sacks for the hammock. I love BYC!! Don't know what I'd do without it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. UrbanBYC

UrbanBYC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    So It looks like plastic is ok too? I was going to make a roosting box like with bars and boxes for poop under but this seems much easier. However if you you canvas, wont the poop be leaving marks when it slides or does it all slide and harden. Anyone have pictures of how it looks after using it a while?

4. mmgillan

mmgillan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Walterboro, SC
    Sprinkle some DE in there and it will harden the poop and kill the smell if you don't clean it out everyday. I have a poop board under mine and keep it sprinkled with DE and the poop dries up and scoops up real easy!

5. pupsicle

pupsicle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    I love the idea of using the feed sacks. It's a renewable resource, they'd otherwise go into the trash, and it makes the poop hammock disposable, so I don't have to bother cleaning it!

6. BOrion

Mar 31, 2012
    I cut the cuter ones up and make bags with handles for carrying groceries, hay, straw, books, etc. etc. If you sew, no need to throw them in the trash!

1 person likes this.
  7. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

I do not have anything to add other than this is a great idea!

8. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    Thank you!!! I was just thinking about pricing some canvas fabric and feeling a little scared lol This idea will save me so much money!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  9. BOrion

Mar 31, 2012
    Yep, and the sacks are soooo easily wiped clean or just replaced. I made the mistake of putting lots and lots of staples when I attached the sacks to the wood. That wasn't necessary and will make it harder to replace them. Live and learn. Another thing I found out is that if your roost space is narrow, like mine, their little behinds are really close to the wall, and the poop gets caught between the wall and sack. I just cut a long piece of sack and taped it above with a flap hanging over into the hammock, like a long slide. Works perfectly.

10. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Would it be easier to sew large "hems" in each side and slide the board through? You could have a couple made up and just swap them out. Metal bar instead of wood would be cleaner and they would not want to roost on them, if that's a worry. Sorry, just my brain running off at my mouth.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by