Poop handing from Tail-end

sjango

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2017
San Diego County, California
I have a young Muscovy duck, and they have had pelleted fecal matter handing from their rear end for a few days now. Should I be worried? They really hate when I try to pick them up, but I’ll do what I have to do.

Is this normal? If not, what might be causing it?
EE8CC136-D3BA-4B59-8C0B-3981F9D102D7.jpeg

First off, are you sure its poop?

In the case that it is, you'd have to constrain the bird, clip all the feathers that have poop stuck to them, then I would gently scrub her vent area with some warm soapy water to loosen up all the poop. This usually doesn't happen with ducks, really only with ones that don't have access to deep water, or ones that have an underlying condition that is causing soiling around the vent area.

First off, are you sure its poop?

In the case that it is, you'd have to constrain the bird, clip all the feathers that have poop stuck to them, then I would gently scrub her vent area with some warm soapy water to loosen up all the poop. This usually doesn't happen with ducks, really only with ones that don't have access to deep water, or ones that have an underlying condition that is causing soiling around the vent area.
Strange. There is a bathtub they swim in which is plenty deep. I'll catch her and clip some feathers and see if that helps. Thank you!

Honestly, they could be a drake, I'm not 100% sure yet! But I cleaned them up yesterday, very carefully, and everything looks normal. We’ll see if it comes back.

I suspect the diatomaceous earth I sprinkled in the coop could have made their poop more solid and likely to stick! Also, Miss Lydia, it certainly look and smelled like poop! Though they could very well turn out to be a drake.

I'll update further if I find out any more!

Back
Top Bottom