1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

poop in the nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mamaof10hens, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Mamaof10hens

Mamaof10hens Out Of The Brooder

everyday there is so much poop in the nesting boxes and our eggs are getting dirty - yuck!
    i heard that it is probably because the chickens are sleeping in the coop (whick some of them are).
    we put another roost in the and blocked off the nesting boxes for the night.
    we'll see how that goes??
    any other suggestions?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are your roosts higher than your nest boxes? Chickens naturally want to go as high as possible to roost, so it's important that their roosts be higher than the nests.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree with gritsar. First I would make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes. Second I would plug up the nest boxes at night for a few night. I put milk crates in my nest boxes and took them out in the mornings for a few days.

4. Mamaof10hens

Mamaof10hens Out Of The Brooder

they are a little higher but not too much.....i can try to make a higher one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by