Poop in waterer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amartinlb, Apr 18, 2009.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Well, in our garage where they are being housed (chicks between 4-8 weeks old) until the shed is converted over the next week to be their new home it has been getting crowded in there and every so often some of the larger ones will hop up on top of the 5gal galvanized waterer and every so often they poop while they are up there, but it usually just sits there on top and we clean it off when we see it.

Well today while doing routine cleaning on the waterer to get pine shavings out of the drinking area we found a feces in there and we immediately removed it. However, at the time I didn't think about it but we didn't change all the water in the waterer.

I was wondering is there any danger to leaving the same water there or because of what happened should I replace all the water tomorrow?

Thanks,
    -Anna

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    I try to change the water every day just to keep the chances of bacteria from growing

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I change their water every day as well. Because of this I switched from the gallon sized waterer from TSC to a small kitty dish for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by