Poop on adult hens' butt feathers

I have 20 chickens, all have had perfectly fluffy butts until recently. I have one Buff Orp that has gotten a poopy butt, I just washed her off and put on some olive oil, since I read that it can help future poo from sticking. I also gave her some yogurt/garlic/oatmeal as a distraction while I was cleaning her up. Which she loved by the way and held perfectly still for all the cleaning without me holding onto her. Yay! I was expecting a wild ride since I didn't have any help. She is I think almost ready to lay, her pelvic bones are 2 fingers apart and she has been laying on the straw floor and keeping her back end pointed slightly more downward the last day or so. Maybe she is preparing for egg laying and the weirdness has caused the sudden poopy butt? No signs of lice, mites or eggs. I will keep an eye on her, a couple more days of cleaning and yogurt oatmeal if necessary, then a trim if that doesn't work.

You could try and give her a probiotic to promote better digestion. Also, has she been wormed? I always find if my girls get messy and I worm them, things get better in day or two. I will do this even if they are not quite 'due' to be wormed according to the label.

- Krista

Is this something to be worried about?

I have a gold laced Wyandotte and a Barred Plymoth Rock (Both about 8 months) that have some dried poo on their butt feathers. At first I was a bit panicked after remembering how that could be bad for them as chicks, so I'm glad I found this thread. Their vents are clear and Inhave not seen any live on them, but I will catch them today and check for eggs around the feather bases when I trim the feathers. They seem to be healthy.

I've noticed several mentions of the hens being around this age- maybe it's an age thing?

Funny...we have a 2-yo Buff Orp with this issue. Just picked her up yesterday, was in a run with no grass, would that at least be sufficient dusting? Will work on checking her today. Thanks, everyone for the posts!

Poopy butt is not related to age or breed.
I have 3 or 4 adult hens, several years old, that have recently developed poopy butt. They include 2 Andalusians and a barred rock.

Poopy butt is something we definitely try to keep under wraps. I almost lost a few chicks because of this. It was causing their vent to be closed off. Cleaned them up, provided a little TLC in the blow drying and they recovered well.

Back
Top Bottom